Blow Air In Gas Tank--starts right up

John4615

Threads
I have a JD D130 22hp V tech. I have a hard time starting and saw a vid on internet about blowing air in gas tank. Tried and it worked. Prior to that I check for air in fuel line, Fuel Pump is spitting out gas, line from valve cover seems to be ok etc . I can start it but it takes a long time cranking BUT if i puff on the gas tank--it starts right up. After I stop and let it sit for an hour or so, it starts right up BUT if I let sit overnight --same problem- puff in gas tank and presto --starts right up? What am I missing?

D

Deleted member 97405

Sounds like your surge of air is acting like a primer to compensate for a choke that needs adjusted. First thing I always check on these Briggs engines is that the choke is fully closing. I have seen countless of these tractors with the choke not fully closing even right out of the crate. Also, over time, the choke cable can stretch, and it will need readjusted. Put your lever in full choke and make sure it rotates the choke shaft on the carb the whole way. If it doesn't, then adjust it so it does. Try that first and see what happens.

John4615

Threads
First thing I always check on these Briggs engines is that the choke is fully closing. I have seen countless of these tractors with the choke not fully closing even right out of the crate. Also, over time, the choke cable can stretch, and it will need readjusted. Put your lever in full choke and make sure it rotates the choke shaft on the carb the whole way. If it doesn't, then adjust it so it does. Try that first and see what happens.
Thanks will try

John4615

Threads
Thanks will try
Will--how simple of a fix--I pushed the throttle cable tight and waited till this AM Put it on Full throttle --and it fired right up !!!!!! No more puffing----thanks again John

OldToroGuy

Threads
I was having trouble searching for a starting problem on my X300 and saw this post. I hadn't seen the trick about blowing into the gas tank or to check my choke position but I will do that when the weather breaks.
I haven't used the X300 for probably 2 1/2 months and it cranks fine but won't start. I can see the gas filter and no gas is flowing through it so gas isn't being sucked out of the tank. The filter has just a little bit of gas in it, shouldn't it be fairly full of fuel? Looking at the gas filter makes me think the fuel pump has maybe lost a vacuum to be able to suck the gas out of the tank. I've got about a 1/2 tank of gas in it and the filter is not that old, machine only has 90+ hours or so on it. Any ideas?

D

Deleted member 97405

I was having trouble searching for a starting problem on my X300 and saw this post. I hadn't seen the trick about blowing into the gas tank or to check my choke position but I will do that when the weather breaks.
I haven't used the X300 for probably 2 1/2 months and it cranks fine but won't start. I can see the gas filter and no gas is flowing through it so gas isn't being sucked out of the tank. The filter has just a little bit of gas in it, shouldn't it be fairly full of fuel? Looking at the gas filter makes me think the fuel pump has maybe lost a vacuum to be able to suck the gas out of the tank. I've got about a 1/2 tank of gas in it and the filter is not that old, machine only has 90+ hours or so on it. Any ideas?
On this machine, listen for the 'click' of the fuel solenoid on the carb when you turn your key on. It's possible the plunger is stuck and not letting fuel up in the jets. Another issue with the X300 series is the interlock module can go bad and not allow your ignition coils to fire. The module is the brain center for your safety switches. It kills the engine if you fall off the seat, etc. If it fails, it usually doesn't remove the ground from the coils. So you may be having an ignition problem instead. If you have no spark, make sure your PTO switch is off, set your parking brake, locate the black wire on the side of the engine. This is the kill wire. Disconnect it. Crank the engine. If it starts, replace the little black box (interlock module) located on the underside of the dash. With respect to your fuel filter question, I disregard how much or how little fuel is showing in the filter because the fuel pump draws through it. Therefore, it won't be full all the time. When the tractor is sitting, fuel can gravity flow into it and fill it, but since the pump is drawing through it, it is normal for it to not be full or have much in it. Hope this helps!

OldToroGuy

Threads
Thanks Will, I will so some checks with what you have told me. I don't understand how the fuel will gravity feed into the filter because on mine the filter looks like it is higher than the fuel tank.
This happened once before and I changed the filter although as I remember it didn't look bad and I think I could blow air through it with my mouth. I tried a few other things, none of which seemed to make much difference. I'll check out the black wire and I also need to look at the choke to make sure it is fully closing.

D

Deleted member 97405

Thanks Will, I will so some checks with what you have told me. I don't understand how the fuel will gravity feed into the filter because on mine the filter looks like it is higher than the fuel tank.
This happened once before and I changed the filter although as I remember it didn't look bad and I think I could blow air through it with my mouth. I tried a few other things, none of which seemed to make much difference. I'll check out the black wire and I also need to look at the choke to make sure it is fully closing.
Sorry to mislead you on the fuel filter. I was speaking more in general on that topic, not model specific.

OldToroGuy

Threads
Not a problem on the fuel filter Will.

So I just got time to check out some things on the mower. I do here a click in the front near the carb so I'm "assuming" that is the fuel solenoid you mentioned. I found two different black wires on the side of the engine. One was small and it went to the starter solenoid, I'm assuming it might be a ground because it is screwed to the motor. The other black wire was much heavier and it had a coupler to disconnect it you should see in the picture. I disconnected it but the engine will not crank at all with it disconnected so I plugged it back together and it cranked fine. Next I pulled a wire off one of the plugs, took the spark plug out and I have no spark whatsoever! Does that mean the interlock module is ok? I should have checked the spark before but I saw the fuel filter had little fuel in it so "assumed" again it was a fuel problem. What next?

Attachments

• IMG_9950.jpg
    IMG_9950.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 6
D

Deleted member 97405

Not a problem on the fuel filter Will.

So I just got time to check out some things on the mower. I do here a click in the front near the carb so I'm "assuming" that is the fuel solenoid you mentioned. I found two different black wires on the side of the engine. One was small and it went to the starter solenoid, I'm assuming it might be a ground because it is screwed to the motor. The other black wire was much heavier and it had a coupler to disconnect it you should see in the picture. I disconnected it but the engine will not crank at all with it disconnected so I plugged it back together and it cranked fine. Next I pulled a wire off one of the plugs, took the spark plug out and I have no spark whatsoever! Does that mean the interlock module is ok? I should have checked the spark before but I saw the fuel filter had little fuel in it so "assumed" again it was a fuel problem. What next?
The black wire is located on the side of the engine as stated above. The pic you sent is of the battery/fuse area, which is above the engine lol. Follow the wires down along the engine. You will see one that's black. Unplug it and see if she'll fire up. The pic below is of a newer machine, but the concept is the same. Find the black wire on the SIDE of your engine. It's on the right side (I think) and will have the same connector as in the pic below. Good luck!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator: