Block these fools

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Has anyone thought to block these fools from getting to the server by ip address range. It will be very easy to do if this forum software allows it. Im sure it does. Lets say they come in on ip address 10.10.10.23. Then block the range of 10.10.0.1 to 10.10.254.254. Korea in not that big.

zmister11

Threads
Has anyone thought to block these fools from getting to the server by ip address range. It will be very easy to do if this forum software allows it. Im sure it does. Lets say they come in on ip address 10.10.10.23. Then block the range of 10.10.0.1 to 10.10.254.254. Korea in not that big.

Seriously , its pretty annoying

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think you will find they are from Vietnam.
I think also you will find they are not people but web bots
And the way to fix it is to put some sort of interaction onto the posting window.
I use captcha but I get complaint from members who might have to try 2 or 3 times to prove they are a real human.
Also there is a better than average chance they are using a zombie computer belonging to an idiot in the USA who has joined this sit and does not have proper cyber security on his computer.
As such zone blocking would be pointless.
Google URL spoofing and you will understand why zone blocking does not work against these types of spammers.

In fact it looks rather like they have hacked into the members registry.
Depending upon the softwear the server is using they might be able to use profanity filtering to block the postings by adding a couple of words used in all the posts to the list of swear word triggers.
I use that with success for a while till the spammers got smart and translated their spam into English.

If you look closely at the members names you will notice it changes every so often so the faster the moderators delete the spamming users the faster they change ID.
The rest of the profiles look ligit which is why I think they have hacked the members registry.

Midniteoyl

Threads
Last time I tried to block by IP range, I got about 100 emails from people who couldn't get in. Some were from the very company who owned the forum (Via).. :ashamed:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think you will find they are from Vietnam.
I think also you will find they are not people but web bots
And the way to fix it is to put some sort of interaction onto the posting window.
I use captcha but I get complaint from members who might have to try 2 or 3 times to prove they are a real human.
Also there is a better than average chance they are using a zombie computer belonging to an idiot in the USA who has joined this sit and does not have proper cyber security on his computer.
As such zone blocking would be pointless.
Google URL spoofing and you will understand why zone blocking does not work against these types of spammers.

In fact it looks rather like they have hacked into the members registry.
Depending upon the softwear the server is using they might be able to use profanity filtering to block the postings by adding a couple of words used in all the posts to the list of swear word triggers.
I use that with success for a while till the spammers got smart and translated their spam into English.

If you look closely at the members names you will notice it changes every so often so the faster the moderators delete the spamming users the faster they change ID.
The rest of the profiles look ligit which is why I think they have hacked the members registry.

I'm not sure if V Bulletin can use Captcha or not but it's a good Idea. Your also right, the majority are VN/Vietnam ip. The problem is if you do an IP search on a spammer that you are going to ban he will or can have like any where from 5 to 25 or more ip addresses so zone blocking would be pointless.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bert I just removed a spam message from your visitors messages on your profile and I would suggest that members check there visitors messages on there profile because it's becoming a favorite place for spammers. Let me know if you find them and if you have a problem removing them and I'll delete them and ban the poster.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks Ric,
I did see it there so I ignored it as I did not notice any method of deleting it.
The whole purpose of belonging to a forum is for information to be public so I rarely ever send a private message and reply to even fewer.
Never thought about reporting it, but I will in the future.

I run mine under simple machines a person I ride with did a check on the security features available on about 100 or so forum hosts & systems and Simple machines came up tops.

And you for one know just how seriously I take cyber security.
I don't particularly like the old captcha but the math captcha seemed to create less grief for the members.
Assuming our spammers are non English speaking then the version that uses numerals , words & pictures should work
And a honey pot will knock out most web bots.
I tried time traps but they never seemed to work.
Having looked back at the speed that the hackers are posting it does look more like a bot than a bum

g29andy

Forum Newbie
Threads
VC spammed my inbox as well. member id of spammer is luffy1102