Blades slow down the lower the Deck setting

Eville

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good Evening
First post hopefully someone can help, I'm lost on this issue
Troy-Bilt pony
belt broke changed belt installed new new blades.
When I'm mowing with deck up PTO engaged the blades turn full speed like usual, once you lower the deck to setting other then up all the way the blades go slower. Lower the deck to slower the blades turn. I mow on setting 3 and I literally have to cut my yard three times to get it fully cut. Once you hit grass the blades barely turn and go slower.
New blades, spindles are free not issues, new belt, (proper belt). But it does seem like it has a lot of slack in the belt. But this is the size it had when it worked perfectly before belt snapped and this is the size under the hood on sticker. Never changed no pulley, never changed deck etc to cause any issues.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Model number and deck size please. I suspect you got a 46" deck.

Eville

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model number and deck size please. I suspect you got a 46" deck.
It's actually a 2006 model sorry for that, I've never had a single issue with it. Till now of course.

42 deck model 13AN77TG

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well thanks for the incomplete model number. With being a 2006 supposedly I find a 13AN77TG766. Uses a 954-04060C belt. 1/2" x 96.5". With the the age you might need to dropped down to a 1/2 x 96 belt due pulley wear. Also make you have routed the belt correctly with belt retainers in the correct position.

Now of course I am using a 5/8 x 97.625 belt on my personal mower but is because I can't keep 1/2 belt intack due engine upgrade. I went from 16.5 hp to 21 hp.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hold each blade & try to turn the pulley on each spindle
Is this mower an electric PTO or manual blade engage.
IF manual check that the belt is under the blade brake not over the top
The deck swings in an arc when it is raised & lowered
Most cases the middle position has the pulleys in the same plane so the belt has the slackest run
As it goes higher or lower they get out of alignment and the belt run gets longer so the belt is tighter .
If you have accidentially got the belt on the wrong side of the brake block, it will be stuffed so expect it to break .
Time for a spare.