Blades hitting discharge chute

keldanith

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone, my first time here, i've got an early 2000's Murray 12.5hp with a 40 inch cut deck, I think 2002 not sure though as the serial number was scrapped off by a previous owner, the issue I am having is with the side discharge chute, when I am mowing the flap often bumps up and down and this causes the metal piece on the inside of the flap to hit the blades from time to time, not enough to cause damage to the blade but it is loud, I will try to post pictures later after work if I can but has anyone else had similar issues?

randyjoe

Threads
Is the discharge chute tension spring still attached and working? The chute should have tension holding it down it should not be just bouncing up and down. That’s the first thing I would check

Born2Mow

Threads
Drop the deck and turn it over. Often times when the deck has center-punched a stump or other immovable object, the front will be pushed back, and thus inward. This draws in the metal from the sides of the deck. The metal on the discharge side will be drawn in to a greater extent because (due to the discharge hole) there is less metal on that side of the deck. The deck already fits the blade path(s) fairly tightly. So the blade on the discharge side will start to touch the housing first.

With the deck up-side-down it will be easy to see. Repair instructions....
  • Whack it with a 10lb sledge on the inside to beat it back into shape, OR replace the deck
  • Stop driving into stuff

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
More than likely the deck around the chute is bent. Not uncommon for a 15+ year old unit made with light gage metal. Should be able to bend it out. Born beat me.

keldanith

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the ideas, I will give it a look a little later in the week, it is possible it is bent, when I got the mower the deck had a dent in it about 4 inches long that the blades would hit, I pounded the dent out but its also possible its still slightly bent

keldanith

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is the discharge chute tension spring still attached and working? The chute should have tension holding it down it should not be just bouncing up and down. That’s the first thing I would check
The spring is still there, but it is old and possible worn, not a lot of tension left on it

randyjoe

Threads
The spring is still there, but it is old and possible worn, not a lot of tension left on it
Then I would change it if has very little tension, I hope I was of some help. Let me know, good luck