Blade Engagement peculiarities

Chuckle

Forum Newbie
Threads
I started my mower, (craftsman model 203800, 42" deck, made in 2014) and drove it out of the garage. After bringing up the speed a little, while in neutral with the brake pedal depressed, I tried to engage the blades. As soon as I did the engine immediately died. So I restarted it making sure the speed was up all the way, again while in neutral and with the brake fully depressed I attempted to engage the blades and it again died. Finally I tried a third time but this time I put the lawn mower into gear and took my foot off the brake before I engaged the blades. This time the engine kept running, and I was mowing.

Each time, while standing still, in or out of moving gear, and with the brake depressed, engaging the blades caused the engine to die. It only keeps running when the mower is in motion and the brake is off before engaging.

Now the weird part:

Then while in motion, with blades engaged, I can apply the brake and the engine continues running. But just as soon as I disengage the blades and attempt to reengage the blades with the brake depressed the engine once again immediately dies.

I have to be moving before I can engage the blades without killing the engine. I'm 75, and can usually diagnose and fix most things mechanical, but I've searched the web for a similar set of circumstances and have only found folks with the run of the mill, seat switch, engagement woes, not mine.
I would greatly appreciate some help, some learned advice on how to proceed. I am quite befuddled by this. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
According to the IPl you have a four ignition switch. Try placing it in the reverse mode and give it a try. Does this resolve the problem? If so then you have with the reverse inhibit cicuit; otherwise there problem with the seat switch circuit like a pinched wire or loose connector.

Chuckle

Forum Newbie
Threads
ST
The seat switch is okay. Reverse mowing is okay also. I guess if I had to boil it down to one question yes or no it would be:
Should engaging the blades while sitting in the seat, in neutral, and with the brake clutch depressed, cause the engine to die? If yes then i have no problem, If no, I gottta problem.
If I repeat the same, but the brake clutch isn't depressed, the blades engage without a problem.
Thanks for responding.
According to the IPl you have a four ignition switch. Try placing it in the reverse mode and give it a try. Does this resolve the problem? If so then you have with the reverse inhibit cicuit; otherwise there problem with the seat switch circuit like a pinched wire or loose connector.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes you have a problem
If the blade cut out when your bum leaves the seat and if the engine cuts out when your bum leaves the seat without the parking brake engaged then the mower is safe to use.
The safety circuits run in parallel
Seat + PTO
Seat + brake + magneto

I can't seem to find a wiring diagram for the mower using the numbers you posted so this is all I can do to help.
Some times the safetys are all ground wires and some times that are power wires & work a relay .