Blade differences??

se3388

Threads
I was looking at blades for my ZT Elite 60" on BadBoyLawnMowerParts.com and noticed they had Bad Boy brand 'regular' blades and Bad Boy brand High lift Fusion blades, what is the difference? Thanks for a little education.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
It’s a process that Oregon Parts uses for some of their mower blades.

Fusion Mower Blades​

Fusion Blade
Presenting the Fusion® blade, another innovation in cutting from Oregon®. Their exclusive electrofusion technology creates an ultra-hard layer at the blade’s cutting edge, so the blade stays sharp and continues giving a clean cut far longer than any blade you’ve used before. The Fusion® process doesn’t add a layer to the blade, but alters the molecular structure of the steel so it becomes an integral part of the blade along the cutting edge, creating amazing stay-sharp. It’s not on the blade … it’s in the blade!

se3388

Threads
Thanks MParr for the explanation, looks like that just means you can go a little farther before sharpening or replacing.

Steve...........

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks MParr for the explanation, looks like that just means you can go a little farther before sharpening or replacing.

Steve...........
True. But, if you sharpen with a file, you are going to have one heck of a time.

Ron3

Threads
Tried to sharpen my badboy blades with a file. To hard for me !

BigBlueEdge

Threads
It's not a knife... break out the grinder.

In addition to the 'fusion' hardening aspect, the blades also have a different design for high lift capability.

bkeller500

Threads
I wonder how far you can sharpen/grind till your past the Fusion.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wonder how far you can sharpen/grind till your past the Fusion.
If you look at the bottom side of the blade, you will see a rough strip along the cutting edge. This strip is about 1/4” wide by 2” to 3” long. That strip is the Fusion part. Personally, I don’t see a big advantage in using the Fusion blades. The most important thing is which type of blade and brand of blade works best on your particular mower. I’ve always had good luck with Rotary brand aftermarket blades.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting, & Scag & Gravely use "marbain steel blades", which is a heat treatment process.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All ride on blades are hot forged
Most are made from either tellurium or boron steel of some grade or the other so should be through hard .
As such there should be no need for heat treatment after shaping & sharpening unless it is to temper the edge slightly.
World Lawn blades appear to be plain high carbon steel which does need heat treatment .