Blackhawk HP Owners PTO Engagement Question

chevytwonova

Forum Newbie
Threads
Purchased a 2018 Blackhawk HP with 25HP Kohler and Fuel Injection. The control panel is the code you enter to start.

If the Mower has the parking brake up I can engage the PTO and it powers up like normal right away..

Another situation I noticed

If i am cutting the grass and stop the PTO, Put handles out to go grab something out of the yard when i get back on mower Pull PTO it does not turn on right away, but the Active light does go on in the control panel. When i pull the handles in AND move forward the deck spins up as it should.

Is this normal operation for this mower?

Let me know if any Blackhawk owners that are able to try this?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does not sound right to me but I have seen some weird things with these mowers. One thing I have learned is to make sure the grounds are good. Battery ground cable where it bolts to the engine on the front starter bolt has to be clean and tight. I know it will seem tight but take it loose and work the cable around and tighten it were it will barely move and work it some more and tighten up might even put a star washer there as well. Also look at the wires where they come out of the clutch and see if they have been partially cut by the clutch. All and all it is a good mower and tough built.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does not sound right to me but I have seen some weird things with these mowers. One thing I have learned is to make sure the grounds are good. Battery ground cable where it bolts to the engine on the front starter bolt has to be clean and tight. I know it will seem tight but take it loose and work the cable around and tighten it were it will barely move and work it some more and tighten up might even put a star washer there as well. Also look at the wires where they come out of the clutch and see if they have been partially cut by the clutch. All and all it is a good mower and tough built.
Could he be experiencing the 7 second delay that is listed in the operators manual?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could he be experiencing the 7 second delay that is listed in the operators manual?
e. Disengage the parking brake and lift your weight off the seat. The engine must stop. The cutting unit blades must not rotate after seven (7) seconds. Is this what you are referring to. The mower has a time delay built into the main display control panel that when you might bound off the set would give a 3 second delay before it would cut the engine off. This mower has a soft starting clutch this might be what you are experiencing.
Purchased a 2018 Blackhawk HP with 25HP Kohler and Fuel Injection. The control panel is the code you enter to start.

If the Mower has the parking brake up I can engage the PTO and it powers up like normal right away..

Another situation I noticed

If i am cutting the grass and stop the PTO, Put handles out to go grab something out of the yard when i get back on mower Pull PTO it does not turn on right away, but the Active light does go on in the control panel. When i pull the handles in AND move forward the deck spins up as it should.

Is this normal operation for this mower?

Let me know if any Blackhawk owners that are able to try this?
Are you telling me the clutch will not activate until you pull the handles in and move forward?

chevytwonova

Forum Newbie
Threads
I messed around with it some more this weekend.

PTO Engages right away when stopped after the initial startup of the mower.

Drive around and mow for awhile and repeat.

PTO does not turn on, or it is delayed by a few seconds. I am beginning to think that once the coil for the Clutch is getting warm enough it is no longer able to turn on?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would come nearer thinking it is in the main display who knows with these things. They are crazy You have one that sits outside in all the elements and never give a minutes trouble then you have the one that is kept inside a building and never get wet and give all kinds of trouble. Go figure. They do have kit to change it over to a key switch start. I think it is around $400.00. Talked to them briefly but not enough to know the details as of yet.