Black and Decker MM1800... dead????

Surly58

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a 4 year old electric Black and Decker lawn mower. i pulled the switch one morning and the motor didn't turn. I looked carefully at my chewed up cord and tested it's continuity. Cord was good! (*altho it will never get a date with all the nicks and electrical tape). I took apart the handle switch checked for continuity. It was also good.
I trimmed the lawn with the weed wacker. Back at the repair today, i took off the blade and just for grins pulled the start lever. Magic!! the motor turned weakly. ok. Put the blade back on. Test and the motor did this..... WAWNT WAWNt WAWnt Wawnt wan waaaa. And died. It's electric! It receives power from a cord, not a battery, It can't run out of gas, but that's exactly what it sounded like.
I can take it appart further, but I don't know what I'm looking for. Any ideas?

Or should I spend the time xeriscaping the rest of my yard?

thanks,

Mark

MowerMike

Threads
Sounds like the motor itself has a problem, and needs to be repaired or replaced. It could possibly be caused by worn brushes or bad bearings, but there are other possibilities such as a bad capacitor somewhere in the circuit. You may want to post this question in the Balck & Decker thread as well to get more help.