Best "Vintage" Snapper Rider To Rebuild/Use???

seagiant

Threads
Hi,
Keeping my eye out for a older Snapper Rider.

Which one was known to be the better Machine???

seagiant

Threads
Hi,
Wow, 206 views and no one has anything to say!

I guess this is the place for nice friendly advice on Snapper Lawn Mowers!

Thanks to everyone (especially the Mods!)...

You guys are ACES!!!!

double yellow

Threads
Hi,
Keeping my eye out for a older Snapper Rider.

Which one was known to be the better Machine???
I have a old snapper I used up until a week ago. Seams like something in the transaxle went bad. Going to sell it for parts. If interested call , 804-543=4920. cell phone , if no answer leave message and I will get back to you,Call between 9am and 7pm

mattm55

Threads
I can't speak for the "best" year or model. I like my mid-80's RER 28" (Snapper RER 28085S) that was given to me by my father-in-law. Rebuilt, put a Honda on it and its been awesome for me. Does everything I've asked and ALOT more. Pull a Classic Cyclone rake too. Parts availability is about 80% or so. You might have to make the rest.

Oh, you can check FB Marketplace for tons of them. At least in my area. I'd look for cracks, rust, missing parts but overall, rebuildable.

Jim's FixIt videos are a great resource. Nothing against Jim but I find I have to put him on 1.25x or 1.50 but your mechanical ability will dictate that :ROFLMAO: He thoroughly explains everything. A++++

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have an SR331415BVE RER I think? Those letters are below the steering wheel. 33" deck Briggs engine. I towed my fat arse at 290lbs. A towable core aerator at probably 60lbs. Think it was 8 cinder blocks at 43lbs each. Finally the wife at 120lbs. Simple math comes to 814lbs. Really put a load on her going up hill and turning the aerator. Cuts like a laser beam with only one blade. Never will sell it. Can't find a more simplistic reliable machine out there that would even compare to the old Snapper build.

seagiant

Threads
I have an SR331415BVE RER I think? Those letters are below the steering wheel. 33" deck Briggs engine. I towed my fat arse at 290lbs. A towable core aerator at probably 60lbs. Think it was 8 cinder blocks at 43lbs each. Finally the wife at 120lbs. Simple math comes to 814lbs. Really put a load on her going up hill and turning the aerator. Cuts like a laser beam with only one blade. Never will sell it. Can't find a more simplistic reliable machine out there that would even compare to the old Snapper build.
Hi,
Is that a Series 6???

s-l1600.jpg

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mine is a series 15.

HomeyHal

Threads
The best one is the one that was pampered.
I have a series 11, 16, & 20; I like the 11 best. It has a Kohler engine that has been very dependable. Newer models have more safety features, but I prefer the simpler controls on the older ones. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them. The mechanicals aren’t hard to master, and I’ve never had any problems getting any part for those three machines.
I bought a series 16 with a Kohler engine that was run without oil and locked up. I got it broke loose and nursed it back in service. It ran for another year before it threw a rod; I suspect a tenant didn’t check the oil.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mine has a 14HP I/C Briggs with the cast iron cylinder liner. She's a keeper.