Best time to kill and reseed?

Brandon011582

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. I live in Connecticut. I recently purchased my home after a few years of renting it. While renting, I didn't put to much time and energy into the lawn besides mowing, watering and basic fertilizing. During late Spring/Summer, the grass is always green with a few areas of minor weeds. But overall satisfied. However, once the temps drop in the fall large areas of the front and back yards turn brownish, yellow. I always thought it was something I was doing wrong or not doing when it comes to maintenance of the lawn. Now that I own the house, I want to get to the root of this issue.

I posted this same issue in another forum and was told that I have Zoysia growing and this is what is turning brown in the colder months since its a warm season grass. I was advised that I can use RoundUp in July to wipe it out and reseed with a Northern mix in August.

Just looking on a second opinion on the timing of doing this (July/August). I always assumed that Fall or early spring were the best times to grown new grass in New England.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    609.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 4

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Talk to your county ag agent or someone who has knowledge of your area, but I'll bet the best time will be in the Fall.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Likely.....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Rule of thumb for annuals you poison either using a pre-emergent ( soil ) poison in the first warm week of spring or while flowering before it seeds with herbacide .
Problems
1) soil poison will stop all early shooting plants from germinating and may leave an ugly bare patch prone to weed infestation .
2) late poisoning will be a waste of time if any seed heads form

The other option is to mow the spot you want to replant very low mid spring then overseed with the grass you do want to grow then water, water, water
OR the expensive option poison dig out and lay turf sods
If you go the last way turf an area at least 1 yard beyond where the bad patch is .

NertKuio

Forum Newbie
Threads
This year I have a whole yard littered with weeds and they grow so fast that I do not have time to mow them. So I decided to use a weed killer. I did not wait for summer, because spring is the perfect time to start preventing weed growth before it gets out of hand. The weed killer that I selected by looking at the review here https://grass-killer.com/reviews/best-broadleaf-weed-killers/ helped to greatly facilitate this task. It should be noted that the formula of this tool primarily destroys actively growing weeds. This means that only newly emerged weeds that are present during spraying will be destroyed.