Best Bearings for a LT2500-50D Spindle Hub

jaxontheweb

Threads
Have a LT2500-50D and need to replace bearings in outer hubs. Disassembly reveals tapered roller bearings. Which would be better, ball bearings or tapered roller bearings? Are they interchangeable?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just my opinion, taper all the way.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, tapered roller bearings.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Not usually interchangable. Don't forget to change the cups too. Torque to spec. Under torquing can loose bearing as the cups don't get fully seated and over-torquing can damage both taper bearing and the cup.

jaxontheweb

Threads
Was a Certified Master Tech automotive mechanic but I am now retired from that trade. Not sure how much transfers over to lawn equipment but I found out a long time ago that when you have a question you should ask! My thoughts for what they are worth was to use the tapers but this is for a lawnmower not an automobile.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a reason why wheel hubs use tapered roller bearings.
And for the same reason tapered rollers were used on mower spindles back in the days of good quality mowers being sold for a reaasonable price.
But the greedy selfish buying public demmanded cheaper mowers every year and that is exactly what they got
Cheaper in more ways than just the price tag.
Fitting tapers requires more precise manufacturing and that costs money .
Ftting tapers requires adding a grease nipple to the spindle housing & that costs money
Ftting tapers requires adding grease seal to the spindle housings & that costs money

Greasing the spindles take time & effort and Joe public is too bone lazy to do that