Bent pushrod or something else?

hotroddr32

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 21hp Briggs Intec on my Husqvarna riding mower that got a lot of water in the tank, I've gotten all the water out of the system and took the nikki carb down and cleaned it out. Now it fired up but was backfiring really bad and wouldnt run much. I found bent pushrods on one cylinder due to backed out valve guides. My question is what is the chances of something like a cam or tappet is damaged too or should I just figure its all right there at the head? I understand the pushrod is basically the sacrificial lamb so that other vital components does not get damaged, but I just wanted some assurance. Also is it a waste to even try to fix the old head or just buy a new one. Looks like the other cylinder is ok. Thanks!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most likely it is just the head that is damage. I have seen fixes for repairing these head but since I cant get new valve guides I have tried those tricks. To me if the valves stuck in the guides enough to cause them to move then the valves and guides are damage.

hotroddr32

Forum Newbie
Threads
Most likely it is just the head that is damage. I have seen fixes for repairing these head but since I cant get new valve guides I have tried those tricks. To me if the valves stuck in the guides enough to cause them to move then the valves and guides are damage.
I have a friend that is a machinist, but after I've checked the prices on a new head, it makes better sense to just put new ones on it. Its a good mower. I think it just got hot or something.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most of the time, moving valve guides are from over-heating the engine. I would install a new head vs "fixing" that one.

Check and clean the engine cylinder block cooling fins ALL the way around each cylinder. This is a yearly thing printed in your engine manual.

Taryl has a video on this repair.

slomo

hotroddr32

Forum Newbie
Threads
Most of the time, moving valve guides are from over-heating the engine. I would install a new head vs "fixing" that one.

Check and clean the engine cylinder block cooling fins ALL the way around each cylinder. This is a yearly thing printed in your engine manual.

Taryl has a video on this repair.

slomo
Thanks. I can't make it through Taryl's video. The stupidity ruins it for me.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Then skip the first 2-3 minutes.
It is a standard enhancement method in education to shove as much silly humour as you can into a lesson.
Students remember the stupidity like "mufkin" or "Kroller" and use that as a link to the important facts
And I find his humour quite purile but it does work & I understand why it is there

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks. I can't make it through Taryl's video. The stupidity ruins it for me.

Amazing you can't find the huge pool of knowledge in Taryl's videos. The time he spends on EACH video must be impressive. Editing, acting and prop work..... Haven't watched one of his videos where he put out wrong info yet. IMO, he is one of the best OPE repair guys on youtube.

slomo

hotroddr32

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think a lot of it is that when I go to youtube looking for the solution to an issue I have, I'm focused on getting to the point and the comedy is a bit more than I want to deal with when I'm focused on repairs or trouble shooting. He definitely puts a lot into his videos and does know what he is talking about. Maybe I'm just too impatient.

haineywv

Forum Newbie
Threads
i had an Intec engine to do a similar thing. The Intake push rod was bent. The steel exhaust push rod didn't bend. It however shoved the valve adjustment stud bolt straight up and ruined the threads since the head is aluminum, i figured there was no way to repair the threads, so i got a used head at a local repair shop for 40 dollars where someone had brought in a blown engine. i put it on 3 years ago and the engine is still running. to this day though, i don't know what caused it. The used head was on a 2012 engine and the older engine was a 2006 engine, since the part numbers showed the same, it worked fine

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think a lot of it is that when I go to youtube looking for the solution to an issue I have, I'm focused on getting to the point and the comedy is a bit more than I want to deal with when I'm focused on repairs or trouble shooting. He definitely puts a lot into his videos and does know what he is talking about. Maybe I'm just too impatient.
Or like me that fooling around is big pain just to get to the point. It is a waste my time to watch stupid stuff beside I got too things that got to be done each day. Anyway I don't his videos any more.