Bent Pushrod and Intake Valve Seal

Amateur

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 407777-0167-e1 (20 HP twin OHC Intek) bent the intake pushrod. I have a replacement and I put it in. When I manually rotate the engine I don't have any problems. That is, the intake valve seems to depress just fine. Can I run it again without adjusting the valve guide? or is the valve guide going to cause issues at run speed?

Also, I am not able to remove the valve stem seal and have ruined the rubber trying to remove it. Any advice for how to take it off? The only advice I've seen is to use slip joint pliers, but that ain't happening. I'd hate to have to get a new head just for this.

Thanks in advance.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would pull the valve keepers and check each valve has full travel. No tight spots in the guide.

Need to ask what caused this issue to happen???

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You must pry them off but that can be pain for the inexperience especially when you don't have the right tools.

If I remember correctly a 5/16" six socket and a hammer is used to install the new ones.

Amateur

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the valve guide has moved, you have issues. Can't run it with a dislocated guide.

yes
No, but I did lapse in changing the oil because I thought the problem I had was unfixable. :-(

Amateur

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the valve guide has moved, you have issues. Can't run it with a dislocated guide.

yes
Thanks so much everyone for your responses. I thought the guide had moved up, but I don't see the bottom of the intake valve stem seal. It's like a "cap" on the guide, right? so if it moved up wouldn't I see the bottom of that seal?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You be seeing the valve guide itself below the seal assembly. Also as a double check you can compare valve heights as they should be the same height.

Amateur

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update on my pushrod issue. I thought that the guides looked about the same height. I had already put the head on and the springs so I did not measure exactly. Also, it seems if the guides are off and you push them to the correct height they are just going to get loose again? Unless you do something like weld them in place or put a screw in to hold them, so I said let me give it a shot and see what happens. Maybe I'll bend another $10 pushrod.

Well, mower runs ok, until it heats up! Then that cylinder is not running. I tested by removing the spark plug wire one at a time on each cylinder. My next step is to take off the valve cover again and see what I see and this time do a better job of seeing the height of the valve guides.

Also, I forgot to put on valve stem lube! Could this be causing issues?