Bend medium density polyethylene cutting board for mulch plug? Any tips heating/bending?

longhike

Threads
  • / Bend medium density polyethylene cutting board for mulch plug? Any tips heating/bending?
I have a cutting board that I was going to use for a different project so it’s available to destroy.

I’d like to try using a mulch plug on an older Toro lx426 42” mower/tractor.

I just need a simple 90 degree angle. The cutting board is 1/2” medium density polyethylene. What is the chance that I can heat it and make the bend?

I realize that without the other baffles etc it won’t be a perfect mulched but it may be good enough. Would Gator blades help, I’m using the original design blades that does have a mild lift?

Any and all tips would be appreciated!

thanks

Born2Mow

Threads
  • / Bend medium density polyethylene cutting board for mulch plug? Any tips heating/bending?
You'd probably have more luck simply fastening a steel or alum angle to your material and let the plastic remain straight.

longhike

Threads
I was hoping for a single piece but a metal angle could work. I need both sides of the angle to be roughly 5-1/2”. The end product would be 5-1/2 deep x 5-1/2 tall x 11” wide.

I don’t have any experience bending HDPE or MDPE, but if I have enough material I may still give it a try on a scrap piece. I’m assuming a heat gun is the way to go.

Born2Mow

Threads
There are different types of plastic. Some get form-able when heat is applied. Some go really spastic and twist/shrink in very strange ways. Some simply collapse.

What you want is a heat gun with a focused nozzle to even have a chance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
HDPE & MDPE will bend and form quite easily if you have the patience and the right tools. To do what you want to do you will need a piece of angle iron, roughly 2”X2”X15”clamped to the edge of a solid workbench. A way to clamp the plastic to the workbench so the bending line is on the edge of the angle iron. A good heat gun, two stage if possible. Good clean pair of heavy gloves, welding gloves work well. I would clamp the other end of the plastic between two pieces of wood, so I can use even pressure across the plastic. SLOWLY, REPEAT SLOWLY apply heat to the area you want to bend, working your heat gun back and forth from edge to edge. DON’T TRY TO BEND THE PLASTIC UNTIL IT TELLS YOU IT’S READY TO BEND. Now slowly apply downward pressure on the plastic until you get to just over 90 degrees, while continuing to apply low heat. Once you get the angle you want, plus a little more it will spring back, remove heat and hold at this angle until cool. Compressed air applied slowly and carefully will speed this up. Not to fast or it will crack. Hope this helps.

longhike

Threads
Thank you!

longhike

Threads
It worked, thank you. It’s not perfect but good enough. (my apologies for the dirty ol’ tractor)

FC6715A1-52C2-4680-8694-593B4436E675.jpeg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I figured it would, as I’ve used this procedure many times working with students. I think you’ll agree patience is your friend when attempting this. Thank you for the update.