Belt issue on a 2001 Dixie Chopper XK 2503 60" Deck

JCT268

Forum Newbie
Threads
Somewhere a long the lines of that's not how any of this is supposed to happen... The motor to deck belt is getting tighter and tighter to put back on at it throws the belt, don't even need to engage the idler pulley it so tight have the correct belt size B-85, with a B-86 belt it flips the belt before to throws it off currently every is loosened up and it's still tight. The engine to transmission is the correct belt of B-41 with the correct belt deflection. This has been going on for about 2 or so years now. Very frustrating and mind boggling

rbxa9E7.jpg

1TcuW5o.jpg

ZCv7QyK.jpg
pi6yGc8.jpg
FYxk0kC.jpg
aY7kjS1.jpg

I want to get this issue taken care of before we install new seals in the hydro gear pumps

That's how I've been getting the belt on and off with the 1.5" wrench and screwdriver ? why and how is it tightening up it shouldn't be doing this at all, boss doesn't want to send it out to a certified Dixie dealer for them to fix

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually measure the belt. Specs B x 88" (B85K)Many after market can be short. One of my vendors were sending me belts up to three inches short. Of course I no longer use them for any belt now other than the Briggs OEM belts.

Also note that since this is a deck deck belt it should be a Kevlar belt.

Last edited:

Huffy Dude

Threads
I'm just guessing but if belt is correct, maybe replacing springs would help? After so many heat and cool down cycles, springs might look OK, but they change their molecular structure, so maybe giving too much tension on the belts? If not that, check for play in rear axle bearings/bushings. Maybe axle bushings are so worn away, the axle is now farther away from the pulley and therefore tighter?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm just guessing but if belt is correct, maybe replacing springs would help? After so many heat and cool down cycles, springs might look OK, but they change their molecular structure, so maybe giving too much tension on the belts? If not that, check for play in rear axle bearings/bushings. Maybe axle bushings are so worn away, the axle is now farther away from the pulley and therefore tighter?
Wrong way round
Springs get weaker over time not stronger.
ORiginally the spring was soft wire you could bend between your fingers.
After being wound on the mandrel it is heat treated to make it springy
Over time the heat treatment wears off
To do it with heat you need to cook the spring at 400C or better and if the mower is getting that hot you got bigger problems to worry about .

JCT268

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got the new B85k from tractor supply have yet to field test it yet due to weather but it does appear to operate and shut the deck off when disengaged without throwing the belt off. Famous last words, right.

JCT268

Forum Newbie
Threads
Only thing it's doing when someone snaps the the deck off the belt comes off the main deck pulley, I've told them to slowly disengage it

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Only thing it's doing when someone snaps the the deck off the belt comes off the main deck pulley, I've told them to slowly disengage it
It may be necessary to make a set custom belt retainer for that deck pulley. It would not be the first time I had make a set for some mower that kept throwing belts.

JCT268

Forum Newbie
Threads
It may be necessary to make a set custom belt retainer for that deck pulley. It would not be the first time I had make a set for some mower that kept throwing belts.
Have a picture of the belt retainer?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Have a picture of the belt retainer?
Sorry I thought I was dealing a mower tech. Maybe someone else has the extra time to explain what a belt retainer is and how to make custom ones as I am just back to the replacemen NZTR stter links and the mods need to get the steering straight; unless, the pavement hits 140 as that where I start getting blisters.

JCT268

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm just mechanically inclined we don't have a designated mechanic at work so they just throw me in to try to fix things