Beat Up Battery Blues

bartles

Threads
I'd like some input on mower battery recommendations for equipment in the 38-42" cut class...12-20 hp. I suppose it's a low cost
vs quality situation. Use 230-300ah discount store batteries and replace them every 2 years OR use more expensive AGM battery?

In our area the grass growing season is from March to October.

Appreciate your input,

bartles

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The two type require different charging systems or at least my charger has two different settings for them.

bartles

Threads
The two type require different charging systems or at least my charger has two different settings for them.
Yep, good to know for sure. I guess what I am asking here are the AGM batteries worth the additional cost vs wet cell Wal-Mart type batteries? I don't have any experience with AGM battery life in a mower application.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now days the battery plates are paper thin
In your car with nice smooth suspension this is not a problem
With a mower bouncing over grass it is a problem and most batteries fail due to the plates falling apart
Even car batteries regularly fail that way.
Motorcycle & mower batteries are of the pressure valve regulated , Adsorbent glass mat construction which is both mechanically stronger and far more resistant to gassing , over charging or self discharging .
Flooded cell batteries should never be used on a lawn mower

bartles

Threads
Now days the battery plates are paper thin
In your car with nice smooth suspension this is not a problem
With a mower bouncing over grass it is a problem and most batteries fail due to the plates falling apart
Even car batteries regularly fail that way.
Motorcycle & mower batteries are of the pressure valve regulated , Adsorbent glass mat construction which is both mechanically stronger and far more resistant to gassing , over charging or self discharging .
Flooded cell batteries should never be used on a lawn mower
Understand. The application is a rough service one for sure. Appreciate the input!

bartles

GrumpyCat

Threads
Yep, good to know for sure. I guess what I am asking here are the AGM batteries worth the additional cost vs wet cell Wal-Mart type batteries? I don't have any experience with AGM battery life in a mower application.
I generally get 6 years from an AGM battery in motorcycle.

If you do not check the "water" in your conventional battery, and if you do not put the battery on a maintainer when parked for over a month, then 2 years is doing very good.

Amazon occasionally puts Noco Genius 1 battery maintainers on sale for about $20. Normally $30. I have a bunch of these, use them for everything even the truck. No matter is only 1A that is enough to keep the battery happy. Supports flooded, AGM, and lithium batteries.

Do not use tap water. Buy a gallon of distilled (not "drinking") water from the grocery store. Just over a buck.