Bad wire or bad connection?

raf1820

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I picked up a LT2000 917.27377 for my brothers new house. When I picked it up the guy selling it couldn’t get it started and we ended up hooking jumper cable directly to starter which got it to fire but wouldn’t stay running. Got it back, drained the gas (water in tank), replaced fuel filter and both spark plugs but still nothing just would sporadically click at the solenoid. While checking connections broke one of the posts on the original solenoid so bought a new four post to replace it. Got everything hooked up checked all connections (including ground to frame) and added dialectic Grease. First try while still partially assembled and got her running smooth. This was with the battery on the running board so it was out of the way with the battery bracket removed. I then replace the battery bracket and reassemble the entire housing and suddenly nothing, not even a click. I then go back and forth tearing the battery back out and checking connections. I found when the battery is out of the housing it will start great but when I place the bracket in it seems to cause some kind of issue. Only thing I found was the red supply from battery to solenoid when moved seems to possibly be the issue. Is this a connection at the solenoid issue or could the wire be bad?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes.
Battery cables are just crimped and the insulation is not sealed a either end ( cheapness ) so water wicks down int the cable & corrodes them
On more than one occasion when cutting off the insulation ( to prove a point to doubting customers ) one or even both cables are in several pieces
Some times if the terminal at either end is loose or corroded then removing it, cleaning he wires then making a better connection will work.
I just replace the cable because I have to warrant my work & the cable is less than the labour to repair it .
If you replace the cable ends, liberal applications of liquid electrical tape will go a long way to preventing reoccurances .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with Bert, cheapest remedy is replacing both battery cables. If you don’t do so, most times the condition will comeback to haunt you.

Gord Baker

Threads
Run one of your booster cables from + battery to solenoid to verify if you have a bad cable.
Remove and clean both connections to Solenoid and the smaller one(s) while you are in there.