Bad luck? No it's good. Nope, it's bad

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Customer kept stalling about picking up his mower. It is a pretty new Troybilt pony. In a lot better shape than the ones I've seen all year. The dude, is kind of a loser. Young punk type. Healthy as a horse, but on disability.
Anywho, today is his last day, after giving him notice that the repairs were made and what the bill was. A customer came by this morning wanting it. And I almost sold it to him for $500. But told him to come back tomorrow, just to be sure.
It's 7pm, I'm just finishing up this chainsaw, thinking about going home, when the dude pulls up and pays me.
In my mind I"m watching those 5 $100 bill go up in flames.

After the guy left, my tourettes started acting up. Luckily no one else was here.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m hoping your repair order has a notice of equipment abandonment on it and the owner signed it. If not you might be out more than $500. Around here you must give them at least 30 days to retrieve the unit, with multiple notifications of completion before you can dispose of it. That’s why many places charge a storage fee if not retrieved after a certain number of days. You must be very careful how you handle these types of problems.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Luckily i haven't had anyone be a dead beat and not pay for and not pickup a piece of equipment. Came close once but a phone call improved his sense of urgency to pick it up. Have you ever have someone "negotiate" the bill?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have had many try, but you have to remember that if you negotiate you will lose money. I’ve only had a couple where I’ve come down, usually there were unusual other problems. Most of those who try are not customers I really need coming back.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most of those who try are not customers I really need coming back.
You got that one right. The one guy who talked me down actually had the nerve to bring me something else to fix. Showed up with a POS and before he could get it out of the truck i told him not to bother and i wasn't going to work on it and i have plenty of good customers and have a nice day.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Luckily i haven't had anyone be a dead beat and not pay for and not pickup a piece of equipment. Came close once but a phone call improved his sense of urgency to pick it up. Have you ever have someone "negotiate" the bill?

They've tried. But when I start spouting off all the things I could've charged, but gave them a break on, the conversation doesn't last long.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I’m hoping your repair order has a notice of equipment abandonment on it and the owner signed it. If not you might be out more than $500. Around here you must give them at least 30 days to retrieve the unit, with multiple notifications of completion before you can dispose of it. That’s why many places charge a storage fee if not retrieved after a certain number of days. You must be very careful how you handle these types of problems.

I don't have anything for the customers to sign. And won't until I get some office help. Worst case scenario, I forfit the equipment and loose the parts money. Which is better than going to court anyways.
I texted this guy, and his wife and told them the repairs were made and that if the equipment isn't picked up within 30 days, that I'd have to sell it to recoup my loss. He called me back immediately and ask how much the bill is. The return phone call, plus the "delivery notice" i get on the phone is proof he got the text message. It only adds to it when they text back and ask how much the bill is.

So with that in mind, they know they'd better pick it up or it's mine.

I have a murray that's now mine, from someone not picking it up. It's been close to 45 days now. I still have some more stuff to do to it before I can sell it. Things that the customer didn't want fixed. That'll be my winter work to get ready for spring sales. I have about 12 now that will be ready for spring.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My next door neighbor is my wife's cousin. Farms over 1000 acres. Shaft and bearing went out in the input assy to his combine. 3 of us worked 2 days on it to pull and repair the input assy. 2 engine cranes 2 floor jacks and a lot of elbow grease needed to get it apart. A shaft, 2 bearings, 2 spacers and some shims and 3 toothed paddles were over $1100. I don't feel bad for what i charge for parts now. Earlier this year he had a stress cracked fuel injection line. Brazed it up on the engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need to be really careful with forfeit property and double check you state & county laws.
Down here the time varies from 90 days to a full year depending upon what the goods are and the repair agent has to prove they have made contact with the owner .
Further more the goods must be kept in a safe & secure mannar so if you left it in the yard in the rain, you can be made liable for weather damage.
Because the big box stores do not like small independent repair shops like myself, they seem to have no problems in having the authorities mount a legal case agains the small & vunerable .
Easy meat for the authorities to prove they are "protecting the community" by weeding out "criminal actions" .
For my customers, storage starts 1 week from the date of notice @ $ 5 / wk for small items & $ 10 / wk for ride ons .