Bad engines ? Three years ago I had a Cub Cadet rider with a Kohler engine that cracked right down the back and lost all of the oil.

jeepfxr

Threads
  • / Bad engines ? Three years ago I had a Cub Cadet rider with a Kohler engine that cracked right down the back and lost all of the oil.
Three years ago I bought a new Cub Cadet with the 22 HP Kohler engine. It was running fine until I went to start it and the engine cant make a complete revolution before coming to a dead stop and always in the same location radially. What is going on ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Bad engines ? Three years ago I had a Cub Cadet rider with a Kohler engine that cracked right down the back and lost all of the oil.
If as the title says and the text does not mention the counter weight has come loose or apart.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
So are we talking about two different engines, or something else. It makes it sound like the same engine was repaired or replaced and now that engine has failed. or are they two different engines with different issues.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
??? So, you have two toasted engines in three years?

jeepfxr

Threads
So are we talking about two different engines, or something else. It makes it sound like the same engine was repaired or replaced and now that engine has failed. or are they two different engines with different issues.
two different engines and 2 different issues

jeepfxr

Threads
??? So, you have two toasted engines in three years?
that's correct and it's not from lack of maintainance or failure to check/ change oil and filters

jeepfxr

Threads
If as the title says and the text does not mention the counter weight has come loose or apart.
where is the counterweight located ? big job ? thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So the only problem right now is the engine can not revolve 1 complete revolution
Can you turn it a full revolution by hand with the spark plugs removed ? ( two is even better )
If you turn it backwards does it stop at the same spot ?
Does it stop with click, klack , thud or just bind up ?
Is there any damage to the spark plugs ?
Had the gap closed up?
What sort of colours are the insulator noses ?
are they both the same ?
Do all 4 pushrods go in & out the same distance ?

If the engine is a single then the counter weight runs on the crank and goes back & forth between the crankshaft & the end of the crankcase
If it is a twin then there is no counterweight .

We can not see, hear smell nor feel your engine so you have to describe what is happen as if we were Tommy , the deaf dumb & blind pinball wizz .

Last edited:

Gregory5

Threads
Sounds to me like you are talking about Kohlers infamous "Courage" engine. They a known for this. Like the saying goes, "It takes a lot of Courage to own a Courage"

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds to me like you are talking about Kohlers infamous "Courage" engine. They a known for this. Like the saying goes, "It takes a lot of Courage to own a Courage"
The thing is the title mentions one engine but the description talks about another. The engine in the title most likely is the Courage single which the block crack was possible. The engine in the description would be a twin cylinder either Courage or Command which would be another issue.