bad boy magneto promblem

jamieedmundson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the add .I got a bad boy 27 hp 60 inch cut . I can pull left side plug wire off and has no effect on moter .Now i know that cylider is not firing correcly fire is weak are not at all . could the magneto just be grounded out sre is more than likely gone bad .Is the a way to test either

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove the valve cover on that side and tell us what you see. Also put up the model/type/code numbers.

RevB

Threads
Thanks for the add .I got a bad boy 27 hp 60 inch cut . I can pull left side plug wire off and has no effect on moter .Now i know that cylider is not firing correcly fire is weak are not at all . could the magneto just be grounded out sre is more than likely gone bad .Is the a way to test either
For anyone seeing this.....a lot of plug "wires" are what is called a carbon track wire...it has a length of carbon impregnated string. Yup, no metal involved at all. Over time, depending on the build quality, these fail to a weak or no spark condition at the plug. I replaced mine with NGK (8328) LB01EP Spark Plug Cap. These have a screw that gets run up into the cable when attaching to cable and makes positive contact with the carbon track string for about an inch or so instead of relying on a crimped on connector.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most likely it is fail ignition coil but can also be the spark plug itself.

First swap the plugs around and test. IF still not firing on the same cylinder, remove the engine shroud, remove the coil's kill wire, and then retest. Just be prepared to choke the engine to death or block the fuel supply. Note this assumes your engine uses magneto coils which most do.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
For anyone seeing this.....a lot of plug "wires" are what is called a carbon track wire...it has a length of carbon impregnated string. Yup, no metal involved at all. Over time, depending on the build quality, these fail to a weak or no spark condition at the plug. I replaced mine with NGK (8328) LB01EP Spark Plug Cap. These have a screw that gets run up into the cable when attaching to cable and makes positive contact with the carbon track string for about an inch or so instead of relying on a crimped on connector.
On most magneto coils the plug wire itself is replaceable and some engine can not accept a 90 degree terminal. I replaced a lot mouse chewed coil high tension leads and I use wire version when I do.

RevB

Threads
On most magneto coils the plug wire itself is replaceable and some engine can not accept a 90 degree terminal. I replaced a lot mouse chewed coil high tension leads and I use wire version when I do.
Well, I can assure you the Kawasaki coil is not one of the replaceables as it's moulded into the coil body. That's nice if you can replace the entire cable but here you can't so why throw away a good coil when you can replace a terminal. And it comes with a 90° terminal so there's that. There are few utility engines I can think of that don't use 90° terminals and even those that don't could.test.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well, I can assure you the Kawasaki coil is not one of the replaceables as it's moulded into the coil body. That's nice if you can replace the entire cable but here you can't so why throw away a good coil when you can replace a terminal. And it comes with a 90° terminal so there's that. There are few utility engines I can think of that don't use 90° terminals and even those that don't could.
I would need the PN of that particular coil as I just replaced both high tension leads on a FX730V (21171-0743) due mouse chewing them off. I fairly certain even the coil you showed has a lead that can be replaced.

I know that the Briggs 310000 and 330000 engine can use a 90 degree as the exhaust is too close to plug as it is. Even the 180 degree boots sometimes get burnt. You definitely want to keep the high lead away from the exhaust pipe.

RevB

Threads
21121-0709 on an FD731V. Non removeable at the coil end. Have to split the boot and carefully remove that to use the NGK screw on boot.