Backfireing

Rlm20001

Threads
I have a 2019 bronco 42 auto. 23 Hp ?
It has been running fine with no problems until today. Today while mowing there was a slightly loud click, at which time with engine increase very slightly in speed (RPMs) and there was a whining noise. I turn off the engine to check and could not find anything wrong. Now I have difficulty starting the engine. When cranking, the engine fails to make a complete cycle, stopping at the point of what appears to be the maximum compression position of the piston. When it does attempt to start, it backfires. The piston moves, the spark plug is clean, the magnetos & magnet are clean.The gas is fresh and there is oil in the crankcase. Please help, I’m stumped.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Twin cylinder correct? give us the engine model also, should be stamped on the valve cover.
I'm thinking a Camshaft issue or a Push rod hopped off a rocker...

Rlm20001

Threads
Twin cylinder correct? give us the engine model also, should be stamped on the valve cover.
I'm thinking a Camshaft issue or a Push rod hopped off a rocker...
I believe only one cylinder. But I’ll check to make sure. I think it’s funny that I may be off my rocker. :)

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Model shows it as a 19HP Briggs Intek single cylinder,
at this point i would remove the valve cover, and also the spark plug so you can spin the engine easier by hand and you want to watch the valves move up and down, make sure they both travel the same amount, and you also want to look for the Compression release to bump the valve, i think on this engine it is on the intake valve (carb side).
Also give us the model number that is stamped on the valve cover so we can see which particular Intek you have.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
at this point i would remove the valve cover, and also the spark plug so you can spin the engine easier by hand and you want to watch the valves move up and down, make sure they both travel the same amount, and you also want to look for the Compression release to bump the valve, i think on this engine it is on the intake valve (carb side).
Also give us the model number that is stamped on the valve cover so we can see which particular Intek you have.

Wouldn't the CR always be on the exhaust? So that the compression has a way out quicker?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put up a pic of the numbers on the valve cover, then remove it and take a pic of the innards.
Only takes removing 4 bolts with a 10mm wrench.

Rlm20001

Threads
Put up a pic of the numbers on the valve cover, then remove it and take a pic of the innards.

Rlm20001

Threads
I keep getting a message that the file is too large