Bachtold Brothers Whipper - Spindle and bearings

AntJackson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great forum and help here. I have a Whipper w/ Honda engine – and it had been doing great – until I hit a stump in a cleared area (okay - not so cleared as my wife pointed out). Lots of vibration when the blade is engaged … removed the blade and inspected and it appears fine. Engaged the PTO w/ blade off = no vibration. Reinstalled blade and same vibration. I’m going to take the spindle out for inspection and possible repair / replacement.
In prior threads there are references that I would like to confirm with some of the more “experienced” folks out there:
1. Spindle – now that Bachtold Brothers and Midwest Manufacturing appear to have gone out of business … is there a compatible other manufacture spindle? I do see a couple on eBay for sale.
2. Bearings – in a post from 2014, ILENGINE* posted that he / she thought the bearings were 6204. Can anyone confirm this? And does anyone have a recommended bearing to install?
3. Service manual – I’m pretty sure they didn’t exist like we have today! If anyone has a diagram of how the spindle shaft assemble is supposed to be assembled – I would really appreciate that. As I purchased this used – and looking at it as I am taking it apart – the prior owner may have made some “modifications” …
Thanks in advance … Ant (not the insect type)

* https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/24661-Bachtold-brush-mower-with-B-amp-S-8-hp-engine

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you remove the pulley off of the top and the under side parts everything should come out. the bearings will have the bearing number molded into the rubber bearing seals. If I remember correctly that spindle shaft isn't anything fancy, and any machine shop with a metal lathe should be able to make a new shaft easily if needed.

if the seals are missing you can take the bearing to any auto parts store and they you should be able to match it up with a correct bearing by size.

AntJackson

Forum Newbie
Threads
You were great back in 2014 … and still are .. thanks, Ant

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
So you came back under a new username?

AntJackson

Forum Newbie
Threads

+++

AJ
- Not the same year … but covered by the same recall. The top of the spindle housing is different.
- currently have machine in pieces (did get it apart - and lower bearings had self-destructed <too much Mission Impossible>). Damage to spindle and taking it to machine shop to see if they can repair.
- taking lots of notes to share once I know what worked for me.

Again - thanks to all out there who share and give advice … Ant