B&S single cylinder 14hp OHV valve problem.

Mrsmit

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older simplicity regent (1997 I was told) won't start this year. Tries to turn over, but won't. I think the valves need adjusting, but the tag with the engine number is missing. The rivets are there....no tag. Is there any other way to find the engine number so I can look up valve clearance? Thanks in advance...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post the tractors model and serial numbers and I’ll see what I can find.

Mrsmit

Forum Newbie
Threads
Internet says model and serial for tractor should be on left side on frame. Don't see it there. Ive been looking online for days, and near as I can tell, the model number is 1692975. The manual for that looks just like this one, but doesn't give me an engine number. It has a 38" deck. 14hp B&S single cylinder OHV. Option was 16hp Kohler. I was hoping maybe the engine number was stamped somewhere else. Thanks for responding.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
maybe post a couple good photos of the engine and one of these top notch A1 mower sleuths here may recognize it.

Mrsmit

Forum Newbie
Threads
maybe post a couple good photos of the engine and one of these top notch A1 mower sleuths here may recognize it.
I just put it to bed for the evening. I'll do that tomorrow, weather permitting. I'm in the midwest, so there are no guarantees this time of year. Ha!

Mrsmit

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll look into that. Thanks for the info. I'm sitting down to supper. I've been outside all day. Our first 80+° day, and no rain!

Gord Baker

Threads
Please state what you have Done to try and get it to start. Remove and clean all battery connections, including solenoid and ground and starter post? Use a known good fully charged Battery.? Do NOT use a jumper from a vehicle with the engine running. Fresh Fuel, new Filter? Adequate Oil?

Mrsmit

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please state what you have Done to try and get it to start. Remove and clean all battery connections, including solenoid and ground and starter post? Use a known good fully charged Battery.? Do NOT use a jumper from a vehicle with the engine running. Fresh Fuel, new Filter? Adequate Oil?
Wont turn over completely. Struggles to get through compression stroke. New battery. Spins fine with plug out. It acts like the valves need adjusting, but I don't have the specs to adjust them. Or something else is causing too much compression.