B&S replacement question

Stillpoint

Forum Newbie
Threads
I need to replace the motor on our DR brush mower and had a question I hope someone with more knowledge can help me with. The old engine was a 31S877-0005-G1. According to Briggs and Stratton the direct replacement is a 31S977-006-G1, which is 17.5 HP and costs somewhere between $1200-$1600. B&S also confirmed that a 33S877-0019-G1, which is 19 HP more and about half the cost, will work.

Am I missing something here? Is there a reason to go with the more expensive option here? I'm happy (ok...maybe not happy, but willing) to pay more for the right equipment, I just want to make sure I'm getting bang for my buck. I'm assuming there are some other variables at play, I just don't know what they are and any help would be greatly appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can swap any engine over provided that the PTO shafts are the same length & diameters .
Some have different alterrnators but they al mount the same so you can swap the new one for the old one if the new one is smaller capacity .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would buy the same machine off facebook marketplace or craigslist for pennies on the dollar.