B & S 3.5

beatsal

Threads
My lawn mower engine just won't start. Bought a new diaphragm and gasket for the carb, no luck. Iput the gasket on and then the diaphragm, not sure if that is correct or should it be reverse?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Please provide the engine model numbers, usually stamped above the spark plug on that engine...
have you checked for spark? get some starting fluid, parts cleaner or gasoline, remove the air filter and pour about 1 tablespoon/slightly less, into the intake and try to start it...

beatsal

Threads
It says B & S Classic, no model #. It starts for a second if I do as you said i.e. pour gas into intake. I can send a pic if it helps

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Engine numbers are located on the blower housing, just above the spark plug.

beatsal

Threads
Thanks but being an old one could not find model so will have to try any ideas you have

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you look on the side of the blower housing? I’ve worked hundreds of older Briggs engines and unless someone has taken a grinder to remove them. Have you taken a green scrubby from your wife’s cleaning supplies and made sure that both areas are clean? If it is an old Briggs I can’t believe they are gone.

dougand3

Threads
Carb on tank....the gasket goes on bottom of plastic carb first, then the diaphragm. The diaphragm is against the metal tank.

HandyBoyNZ2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try this file.

Attachments

• Parts Manual 080202056899.pdf
    524.9 KB · Views: 7

beatsal

Threads
Carb on tank....the gasket goes on bottom of plastic carb first, then the diaphragm. The diaphragm is against the metal tank.
Thanks, it worked! Just wondering - by pushing the rubber priming bulb, how is the fuel sprayed i.e. push bulb - pressure reduces, gas from tank gets sprayed. Intuitively, by pressing the bulb, shouldn't the pressure incresae momentarily?