B&S 10HP OHV runs smooth then a quick sputter then repeats

soncloud9

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / B&S 10HP OHV runs smooth then a quick sputter then repeats
I have a 10HP OHV B&S on a Generac generator. It had a filthy carb and would not start. I took the carb apart and cleaned it, cleaned the plug, put a clean fuel filter and replaced the gasoline. It cranked right up and runs smooth except it has hiccups. It will run for 10-15 seconds then have a quick sputter and then repeat this cycle. Any ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My guess is that you will have to clean the carb again. If you did not do so, I would replace the float needle and seat, plus set the float level properly.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've also had a bad spark plug do this. Hard to trace this down though.

soncloud9

Forum Newbie
Threads
My guess is that you will have to clean the carb again. If you did not do so, I would replace the float needle and seat, plus set the float level properly.
The carb is pretty darn clean. I checked the seat and it's very clean. I don't see any way to adjust the float. Would the little sputter come from too high or too low a float level. If this matters, the generator has about 30 hours on it and it has been sitting for around 5 years without any use.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does this go away if you partially choke it?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The float needle seat may look good, but may have swelled from the old fuel sitting in the carb. This will result in a lean mixture, which is why I always replace it when I clean carbs.

soncloud9

Forum Newbie
Threads
If i partially choke it the engine will start to die.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try it with a load on it, couple 500 watt work lights is good, doesn't need exact voltage etc.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try it with a load on it, couple 500 watt work lights is good, doesn't need exact voltage etc.
With no load you may be still running on the low speed circuit or just transitioning to the high speed circuit. If it runs without hiccups with a good load on it you have a problem with the carb low speed circuit. Watch the govenor linkage when it hiccups. Does it open up the throttle right when it hiccups for about a second?

soncloud9

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks I'll try it tomorrow and get back.