AV600 New Points, Condenser and Coil. Setup properly (I think) and still no spark. Anything obviouse I'm missing?

AV600

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / AV600 New Points, Condenser and Coil. Setup properly (I think) and still no spark. Anything obviouse I'm missing?
Hello,

I've got an AV600, which is on an AL-KO shredder. Its made by FIAT, which is interesting. Must have been made in Europe. When I got it, it had no spark, tested plug on another machine, plug was ok. Have since changed the points/condenser, no spark. Changed the coil. Still no spark. I'm stumped. This is also my first time messing with points/condenser.

Any tips appreciated. Photos in link to Amazon Photos of AV600

Thanks!

Amazon Photos of AV600

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / AV600 New Points, Condenser and Coil. Setup properly (I think) and still no spark. Anything obviouse I'm missing?
These ignition systems need to be timed before they will run properly. This manual explains how to do it. Unless you have the proper dial indicator, and even then, it is not the easiest job. I just did a 1968 HH60 this past week and I had the indicator, but still took two hours to get it running smoothly. Look at pages 30-36. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Te...HSK600-TVS600-Craftsman-200-Series-692508.pdf

AV600

Forum Newbie
Threads

AV600

Forum Newbie
Threads
Another question: shouldn't the points/condenser and coil produce a spark, regardless of the timing?

I have the spark plug out and a spark tester installed right now. I understand it wouldn't run properly if not timed, but shouldn't it at least give spark?

Thanks again.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It should if everything else is set properly. Try these steps first. Set the point gap to .020”, as stated in the manual. 2. Disconnect the kill wire. 3. Install the point cover. Insert flywheel key and flywheel. You can do this without fully tightening the flywheel down, finger tight will work. 4. Remove the spark plug. 5. Test for spark by spinning the flywheel by hand. BE CAREFUL THAT YOU DON’T PINCH YOU FINGERS. Been there,done that more than once. If you get spark, reconnect kill wire and retest for spark. No spark, kill wire is grounded somewhere. If you get no spark I’ll tell you how to test these coils, if you have a VOM.

AV600

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ohhhh.....I am stupid. Of course it won't spark without the flywheel....no magnet, no spark.

I sheared the flywheel key taking the flywheel off, and haven't found a replacement yet.

Would you happen to know where to find one for the AV600?

Thanks again! talking it out helped!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any good repair shop should have one. Tecumseh part number 650496.