Asking Members Questions Via Profile Posts

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seeing more and more of this lately.

If you have a question pertaining to a thread, please ask that question in the thread, not by contacting members directly.

That way more people can see the question and see the answer. Also, a differnt member might be able answer it.

Thanks.

keakar

Threads
not too hard to figure out, some people just dont like the way they see others treated for asking a question, so they avoid that by asking in PMs and they dont have to subject themselves from being belittled for asking a dumb question.

when they feel more confident they will ask their questions on the forums, it happens that way on most help forums

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW I give them all the same reply
"I do not give technical advice by PM's as it defeats the whole purpose of having an open public forum.
No question is too small or too simple to be answered and as this is not facebook none here gets their jollies by abusing others .
Please put the question you have asked me on the ????? sub group & I will be happy to respond if some one else does not do it first "

I have this reply saved as text file so can answer the PM's quickly.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
One nice thing about this forum actually. A question usually gets answered without turning into a roast after three or four postings, unlike many other forums.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
One nice thing about this forum actually. A question usually gets answered without turning into a roast after three or four postings, unlike many other forums.
That's because Bertsmobile1 and myself must have missed the posts you were looking at LOL. (y)

All joking aside, this is a good forum and a great group of guys. Lots of knowledge here.

slomo

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Starting to see more and more of this, again.

Please ask or answer questions in the forum for the relevant brand. As Bert said, it defeats the purpose of a forum by using PM's.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
So you are back at monitoring PMs again. As I said before PMs are meant to be private discussions, no one but the parties involved should be aware of what is being discussed.

I once used PMs here to discuss proprietary info but I haven't allow anyone to PM or email me since being jumped on about it nor will I PM or email anyone here. Somethings just don't need to be discussed publicly so I just don't post it publicly.

Even when I send info it is usually encrypted and password protected just to keep prying eyes a bay. I do have nearly 10 gigs of service manuals stored on the cloud but they are in private directories and most are encrypted.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do me a favor, Star Tech. See that 'New' button to the right of the 'Photos' button on the top of the page?

Click on it. You should see 'Latest Posts.' If you scroll down further, you should see 'Latest Profile Posts.'

Let me know what you see.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Posting in the profiles is usually just inexperienced members learning the ropes.

Profile posts are not PMs. They are usually public viewable unless restricted to members only or set to nobody. You said PMs (private messages) not profile posts. BTW I even restricted my profile area with the setting of Nobody.

I am not even going said what my experience level is other than I considered 40+ yrs is considerable but even then I still learning new things every week.

Back when I did allow PMs and emails if I was asked a question privately I did respond. No point in being a jerk about it. If I am asked I will try to help but that is just how I have operated the last 40+ yrs Sometimes other techs just don't want every Tom, Dick, and Harry knowing they need extra help.

10 New profile posts in 30 days. Heck I answered nearly 10 PMs in the last week over on PPETEN but we are professionals over there and not just a bunch of DIYers; although, there is a hand full of professionals here.