Ariens Ikon 52 will not start

chipper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just purchased from big box. Was still in the crate. The engine will turn over but will not fire. Even with full choke, I smell no gas. The Kawasaki FR 691V has no gas on/off valve. Checked all the wires, not making sense..Pto off, sitting on the seat...Any help would be appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Double check the instruction manual that came with your mower. Brake on , drive off PTO off ( seat usually not in cranking circuit )
If it refuses to fire also check that the wires on the fuel solenoid are attached and that the fuel tap is turned on ( where fitted ) particularly if you have duel tanks.
If still no joy call the shop & ask for a full refund or replacement.
This is the problem everyone faces when buying on the cheap.
Testing a mower to ensure that it works costs money and now it is going to cost you time & agro if nothing else.

If you want to play with it and give the dealer who will not want to loose money fixing some one elses problems an excuse for voiding warranty.
You can remove the air filter and pour a VERY SMALL amount of fuel down the carb and see if it will run the fuel out.
If it does then you have a fuel problem if not you have a valve timing / ignition problem.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
How fast is it cranking? I'd charge the battery. It's possible it's just not cranking fast enough to fire due to voltage loss of the battery during storage.

chipper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the help. Poured small amount of gas in carb, third time the charm. I think it was the battery, put a meter on it 8.7 volts. Again, thank you.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yep, battery ought to be 12.8 or there abouts.