Ariens Apex 60 dies after engaging deck

Lc43727

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got an Apex 60 with about 90 hours on it. It just started this deal where it does about 20 yards or so after starting the mowing deck. It's been serviced and I just rebuilt the carb today with no improvement in performance. I can make the same loops around the yard with the deck off, thinking it may be the camber of the hillside, but it runs just fine. As soon as I engage the deck, I can go about 25 yards and it sputters and dies. It starts back up and runs fine again until I re-engage the deck. I'm at wits end with this thing.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Answer some questions.
Is the mower still under warranty? 90 hours is pretty low to be messing with the machine.

Lc43727

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've had it just over 3 years. Unless the hour meter has malfunctioned, it's showing just over 90 hours.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've had it just over 3 years. Unless the hour meter has malfunctioned, it's showing just over 90 hours.
Three years. That means your probably just outside of your warranty.

Lc43727

Forum Newbie
Threads
Isn't it designed to work that way?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
first thing I might consider is fuel flow. When the blades are engaged the engine needs more fuel. If the fuel filter for example is restricted, then the load may cause the bowl to drain once the supply can't keep up. Same as a car running into problems climbing a grade with a dirty filter. Another cause might be electrical, is a switch failing as it heats up. You might engage the blades at one spot and sit there as long as the 25 yards to see if it is the load or the time that is killing it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would be checking the deck belt, spindles and clutch, but have a few questions. 1. Does it die slowly or just shut off? 2. When was the deck serviced last? 3. Have you released any deck parts recently?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Like @Rivets said. When engaging the PTO, There seems to be more of a load put on the engine. Too much load will shut one down every time.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get some one to sit in the seat, hold the operator presence lever in ( I have no idea what an Apex 60 is ) start the mower then hold the governor arm with your finger .
Push the governor arm slowly to open up the throttle
If the engine stumbles & dies then you have a carburettor problem .
If the engine gets really loud, blows a puff of smoke then the head gasket is gone
If the engine just speeds up without any problems you have a problem with the deck

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
keep in mind that he gets 25 yards of normal mowing before it "sputters and dies."