Ariens 414cc

Twigs

Threads
Got my new Ariens 921029-Deluxe Platinum with the AX 414 engine last Feb. So this is the first real snow season I got to put it to the test. We have had a lot of snow here in NY so i have used it many times.
Well now here is the problem..Today went to use it and it ran for about 10 mins then started to choke then died. It was filled with gas before I started..I waited a few minute and crank on it a few times it would not start, Then I press the Primer bulb a few times then crank it again and it started to run. It ran for about 2-3 mins then choke and died. I then pulled out the spark plug and clean it..it was not to bad with carbon. I primer it again and it started and ran for about 3-4 mins this time. Any ideas what is going on with this. It seems not to be getting gas I think. It's been pretty cold here
Ariens Snow Blower 007.jpgAriens Snow Blower 008.jpg

Arwing64

Threads
Try spraying carburetor cleaner or starting fluid directly in the air intake and see if it attempts to start. Do not use the choke or primer. If it fires briefly but then dies, I would advise inspecting the fuel. The fuel could have become old which could cause an engine to run poorly or not run at all. If the engine doesn't fire at all, the engine may be flooded. When cranking, if fuel is blowing out of the exhaust or carburetor body, then the engine is flooded. Other signs might include a strong odor of gas. Severe flooding may cause hydro lock on the compression stroke.

Please respond with the answers to those questions to continue diagnostics.

Twigs

Threads
Try spraying carburetor cleaner or starting fluid directly in the air intake and see if it attempts to start. Do not use the choke or primer. If it fires briefly but then dies, I would advise inspecting the fuel. The fuel could have become old which could cause an engine to run poorly or not run at all. If the engine doesn't fire at all, the engine may be flooded. When cranking, if fuel is blowing out of the exhaust or carburetor body, then the engine is flooded. Other signs might include a strong odor of gas. Severe flooding may cause hydro lock on the compression stroke.

Please respond with the answers to those questions to continue diagnostics.

Thanks for the info..the gas is new..I will try your other thoughts..

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Open the gas cap and leave it loose. See it the engine runs properly, if it does you will have to replace the cap which should be under warranty.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the info..the gas is new..I will try your other thoughts..

Sorry to thread jack badly, but that car in your avatar... I think I have seen it somewhere in my life when I was a kid at Hershey, PA.

Anyways, nice snow blower

Twigs

Threads
Open the gas cap and leave it loose. See it the engine runs properly, if it does you will have to replace the cap which should be under warranty.

Another great idea..I will check it out..It's got to be something simple..it was running great and it only has about 10-15 hrs on it..

Twigs

Threads
Sorry to thread jack badly, but that car in your avatar... I think I have seen it somewhere in my life when I was a kid at Hershey, PA.

Anyways, nice snow blower

Yep that's my first car...I have had it for 44 yrs now..lot of parts came from Hershey

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep that's my first car...I have had it for 44 yrs now..lot of parts came from Hershey

Seriously, I think I have seen you in person at a Hotel. You were with other guys heading out to a car club.

Twigs

Threads

This morning I started up the Ariens. It ran for about 15-20 mins then started to act up. I loosen the gas cap and it started to run smoothly again. So to make sure I tighten the cap and it ran for about 3-4 mins then it acted up again. So I loosen the cap and it ran smoothly. I will see about getting a new cap. I know when I'm snowblowing on a windy day the gas cap etc gets covered with snow. I try to keep it clean but maybe there is a little piece of ice in the cap I don't see. Well anyway I will try to get a new one.
Thanks you so much...