Anyone else notice the wild price increases on parts lately?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Anyone else notice the wild price increases on parts lately?
Just wondering anyone else the huge prices increase on some OEM parts lately?

A couple items here for an example have increase well over 200%. A carburetor fuel bowl for a Briggs went from a little less than $30 cost to $110. And just yesterday I was needing to restock a MTD PTO cable that last November was $9.50 is now 30.28 cost. Just looks like the OEM are price gouging us just because of the Covid 19 excuse. I can see some price increase due shortages but not over 200% increase; otherwords, more tripling the prices. They even the margins bewteen the wholesale and prices with at times the cost being nearly the same as the suggested retail price.

I have seriously cut back on restocking items and even considering closing the shop if I start losing money on parts due to high shipping costs. I have already had to my increase retail prices of MTD parts 10% above suggested retail just to cover shipping costs. Even my retail prices the Briggs parts are being increased too above suggested retail. Right now the only OEM that seems to holding down prices is Husqvarna but I don't lasting for much longer either.

Just was quoted a price on a Stihl carburetor one week of $28 and when it came in the next week it was $47. What worst I had already quoted out the repair job so I lost money on that sale of the carburetor as I sold it for $35. Just cant keep doing that.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
RGS put all of their prices up 15 % a couple of months ago & Stens prices are going up 10% down here July 1.
As for OEM parts down here they are 3 to 4 times the USA prices so I doubt that they could put them up any more .
But I do agree with you that the big end of town has decided to maintain profit levels despite falling sales by bumping up the prices & blaming Covid.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's from that ONE CARGO SHIP that got sideways in the Panama Canal. Lumber and everything else has skyrocketed. Because you know when ONE ship turns left or right, prices have to go way up. Makes total sense. :rolleyes:

No doubt the Democrats are behind all this. Or some billionaire loser needing more money. As in Bill Gates, the one that CAUSED COVID-19. Gates owns the lab in China where the Covid-19 virus "leaked out" from. Also a huge portion of EVERY vaccine we all know about. $$$$

I thought Sleepy Joe Biden had some Executive Order against price gouging?

slomo

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't quote anything to a customer anymore. Whatever the price is plus markup plus labor. Just paid $85 for a JD timed deck belt that used to cost $60. Dealers in my area are passing along price increases too. Plus most are 5 to 6 weeks to even get to a customers mower. That means more business for me. Getting Stihl parts is still a pain plus the $20 order fee on every order. Some folks balk when i call and tell them what the parts will cost but after they call around they have me fix it. Parts cost hasn't affected my profit margin. Just getting the parts is a pain.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hammer you must be dealing with JD on the Stihl items. I switch to a different dealer that just put my orders in with his weekly stock orders and saves me on the shipping costs. Still pay a small shipping charge but it is fair to both of us as we sometimes meet the free ship level.

And Slomo you can't just blame the Dems as the Repubs are just as guilty. I have yet to receive a single penny of the promised stimulus money payments and I definitely qualify. Maybe I get their attention next 8-10 years when I file my taxes and don't send any money.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have 3 stihl dealers within 20 miles of me and all 3 are JD dealerships. I have resorted to buying OEM stihl off ebay. Not my first choice but a 3 dollar fuel line doesn't cost $23. One dealer will put my order in with theirs but they order every 2 weeks and it takes almost a week to get their order.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hammer you must be dealing with JD on the Stihl items. I switch to a different dealer that just put my orders in with his weekly stock orders and saves me on the shipping costs. Still pay a small shipping charge but it is fair to both of us as we sometimes meet the free ship level.

And Slomo you can't just blame the Dems as the Repubs are just as guilty. I have yet to receive a single penny of the promised stimulus money payments and I definitely qualify. Maybe I get their attention next 8-10 years when I file my taxes and don't send any money.
I'd like to eliminate both the Dems and Repubs. Make the American party.

Stop all the "lifetime" appointed waste of breath Senators camping up there sucking down money from special interest companies.

All lobbying should be outlawed. Doesn't do the American public ANY service.

Put me in charge for a day. Be some new changes take place.

slomo

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was talking to the owner of a JD/Stihl dealership. He told me flat out that Stihl only wants dealerships to service Stihl equipment. They only sell parts to the public because they are required to do so. He said JD doesn't mind owners fixing older equipment because parts profit is easy money for JD. He also said JD is waiting on the "right to repair" issue to work its way through the courts. If they win we will see mowers like tractors with proprietary electronics and software that are not serviceable or able to be purchased by the public. I already tell people i don't work on fuel injected engines or Mtronic saws. Won't be that long that the one man shops are gone because they can't afford or be able to get the diagnostic tools for new equipment and owners will have to go to the $100+ /hr dealer and wait weeks because they turned the key on the mower and nothing happened. But feel better because you can use it in California.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

And Slomo you can't just blame the Dems as the Repubs are just as guilty. I have yet to receive a single penny of the promised stimulus money payments and I definitely qualify. Maybe I get their attention next 8-10 years when I file my taxes and don't send any mone
I'd like to eliminate both the Dems and Repubs. Make the American party.

Stop all the "lifetime" appointed waste of breath Senators camping up there sucking down money from special interest companies.

All lobbying should be outlawed. Doesn't do the American public ANY service.

Put me in charge for a day. Be some new changes take place.

slomo
1622645569072.png

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually I going to vote for the "None of the above" candidates or the boulder that been sitting my backyard for the last 50+ yrs. I know at least the boulder will get nothing done right or wrong.