Buying Advice Any Suffolk Punch owners on here ?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I was walking to the shops earlier today, and saw somebody mowing their lawn (and it was a fabulous garden, had a massive tree in the middle, and the grass was literally like a golf course!) with a Suffolk Punch mower.

The engine seemed really quiet (about half the noise of my rotary Mountfield), and judging by the state of his grass, it does a fantastic job!

New, they cost 」500 ($1000), but there are good used ones that come up in the classifieds every now and again for about 」200 ($400).

Obviously my new Mountfield is the only mower for me just now, but in a few years I may invest in a Suffolk Punch if they are good!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have not seen a mower by that name... but this is more along the line of what I would associate with it...
YouTube - ‪The Suffolk Punch‬‏

If the mower is as good, I would say it is then among the BEST... :smile:KennyV

oldyellr

Threads
I would presume this would be a reel-type mower. That's the only kind of power mower I remember from when I lived in the UK over 50 years ago. In Canada nearly all consumer grade power mowers were of the rotary type, reel-type only being used on golf courses. You have to mow very frequently with a reel mower, whereas with a rotary you can just do it twice a week when the grass is growing fast and maybe once every 2 weeks by late summer.

Buying guide: Suffolk Punch lawnmower - Telegraph

249XUU

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Suffolk 35s made around 1999 and can assure you that they are only suitable for cutting short grass on level surfaces. We rent a place in the Cambridge fens in UK where the grass grows thick and fast and the ground is very uneven. I have got through about 9 of the nylon cogs that connect the drum to the other parts. As soon as I hit a thick piece of grass the drum jams and takes out the teeth on the cogs. Bad design!. I ve heard of other people having a similar problem but can't find an explanation anywhere. M
y advise is avoid these modern Suffolks that are built to cost you in maintenance charges.:thumbdown:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I love the name, Suffolk Punch. :cool2:

I knew it had to be British.

I don't know if they're imported into the UK, but Jacobsen (USA) makes a very good line of reel mowers.

249XUU

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, suffolk punch is a great name but shame the mecanicals are so crudely built. The engine however is great save for the crummy pull start. On my mower one of the carriage bolts that holds the reel in place was missing. this was causing the reel to crash into the nylon cogs every time I hit a lump in the lawn. Now sorted but comments still stand that they aren't any good for long grass.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
The suffolk punch name is no more.
Bosch who owned atco, qualcast and suffolk punch has sold the names to other companys.
Allet have now bought the tooling to make the suffolk under a different name and will prob be painted black.
Downside is they have gone to chinese loncin engine.
As for the cogs its not a design flaw its how its meant to be.
Replacing a cog for 」5 is cheaper than a regrind if you do hit something.

andytyler

Forum Newbie
Threads
i sell a lot of used suffolk punch and sucessors from 1 year old to 60 year old.

there is nothing wrong with the new mowers but they had alot to live up to

build quality deteriorated from late 1980's onwards, it got a lot worse with the new 1996 design.
the latest allett cpm mowers come with loncin or kawasaki engines depending how much you pay.. kawasaki being more expensive but worth the extra cash

although the build quality has gone downhill they are still an excellent mower just not as bullet proof as the old ones.

dump a 60's punch behind a shed for 20 years and it will still be repairable, leave a post 1996 outside in the rain a few too many times and it will rot.

and as for the loncin engine although i think it is poor against the saki it is still sweeter than any briggs thats passed through my shop

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lovely little movers, service many over the past 40 years (older type), there was also the Colt they would give you two hours work on two pints of petrol. still have a engine for one.

andytyler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Any Suffolk Punch owners on here ? re. engine man suffolk colt

in response to engine man...
yes i know the colt,
im not a rich man but i have my choice of mowers as its my business.
my choice for for my little lawn a 1970's suffolk colt with an earlier 1960's 75cc cast iron engine bolted to it. my reasoning for owning this is not nostalgia but the simple fact there is nothing this nice to use made anymore.