Another recommendation needed,,, pretty please.

vxooxv

Forum Newbie
Threads
Newbie to the ZTR world, but have spent hours reading posts on this site.

I have a 5-acre lot, where 2.5 of it is fairly flat, no obstacles, mostly Zoysia with areas of crap grass. The other 2.5 acres are various woods, with trails cut in with a few rough spots, the occasional slight slope, small limb, leaves in the spring/fall, and new saplings. I mow to keep it under control in the hopes more grass will grow in specific areas.

I'll be cutting at least once a week as needed.

I've seen so many varying size of mower/cut estimates I really don't know what to believe. I keep going back and forth between a 54" and 60/61". At say 3 acres 2.5 back and forth and .5-1 zig zagging will the 6 inches make a significant difference in time and/or maneuverability? I kept leaning towards 60 but my gut tells me I can get more for my money going 54? Thoughts here?

Secondly - used vs new. New comes with a warranty so that may be the way to go. I assume warranty transfer if buying a new(er) used model?

Lastly we come to brand. I get 10% military off at the big box, is there a brand worth it? I've read so many negative reviews on the CC and Craftsman I'm not sure I'd go that route? Is there a big box ZTR worth it? Then we come to the Bad Boy's and such... I simply get lost in the non-big box brands, there are so many. Even bad boy's site does a shitty job at adequately comparing their own models.

I'd like to stay in the 5k budget if possible.

Any advice would be appreciated... I'd like to be somewhat informed before venturing into some of the local dealers and get sold on something I know nothing about. :)

beddy85

Threads
Imo, if a 60" will go between all your obstacles, that's the way I'd lean. Depending on tire size and width of the machine generally on a 60" deck you will have more deck hanging out which makes it a little nicer for getting closer around objects. As far as your budget goes, $5k might be a little on the low end if you are looking for a new machine for 3 acres. I would try to find a good used commercial mower. Most brands the warranty does not carry over to a second owner. If you are stuck on getting a new machine from a box store, you might be able to get into a new toro titan at home depot for your budget. Another option would be an ariens apex. I would check out your local dealers first and see what they can do for you price wise. In my area the toro dealers have the same prices as home depot. I know you said you get a discount at the big box, but if you ever have a problem with a new machine generally your local dealer will be able to serve you better. I've been I your position of looking for a new ztr...a person can drive themselves nuts looking for the right one since there are so many options. In the end I ended up going with a machine that had dealer and parts support close to me. I hope this helps a little and good luck.

a022mil

Threads
Newbie to the ZTR world, but have spent hours reading posts on this site.

I have a 5-acre lot, where 2.5 of it is fairly flat, no obstacles, mostly Zoysia with areas of crap grass. The other 2.5 acres are various woods, with trails cut in with a few rough spots, the occasional slight slope, small limb, leaves in the spring/fall, and new saplings. I mow to keep it under control in the hopes more grass will grow in specific areas.

I'll be cutting at least once a week as needed.

I've seen so many varying size of mower/cut estimates I really don't know what to believe. I keep going back and forth between a 54" and 60/61". At say 3 acres 2.5 back and forth and .5-1 zig zagging will the 6 inches make a significant difference in time and/or maneuverability? I kept leaning towards 60 but my gut tells me I can get more for my money going 54? Thoughts here?

Secondly - used vs new. New comes with a warranty so that may be the way to go. I assume warranty transfer if buying a new(er) used model?

Lastly we come to brand. I get 10% military off at the big box, is there a brand worth it? I've read so many negative reviews on the CC and Craftsman I'm not sure I'd go that route? Is there a big box ZTR worth it? Then we come to the Bad Boy's and such... I simply get lost in the non-big box brands, there are so many. Even bad boy's site does a shitty job at adequately comparing their own models.

I'd like to stay in the 5k budget if possible.

Any advice would be appreciated... I'd like to be somewhat informed before venturing into some of the local dealers and get sold on something I know nothing about. :)
Ask your dealer’s about military discount, much better to go to a dealer than a box store, service is very important, my dealer matched the box store price here in northern Ohio.

beddy85

Threads
Ask your dealer’s about military discount, much better to go to a dealer than a box store, service is very important, my dealer matched the box store price here in northern Ohio.
I agree with this post. Aside from the service you would also be helping the little guy out instead of corporate America.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with this post. Aside from the service you would also be helping the little guy out instead of corporate America.
Not even America
Lots of big box brands have very large shareholdings that are foreign owned so the money goes strait overseas
Others are majority a single family ( Lowes & Wallies ) so you are making the excessively rich even more rich & depriving people who desperately need the money a job at the local dealers .
When the local supermarkets started to sell milk for less than the farmers cost , loyal Aussies ( who always say they support our farmers ) could not buy enough of it to the point that the entire dairy industry collapsed and lots of farmers ending up blowing their heads off .
Ask a "loyal Aussie if they thought they were directly responsibe for all the farmers killing themselves and they just give you a blank look & shrug their shoulders.
Almost no one in this country can not afford the extra 30¢ per litre .
Every time you open your wallet it has consequences

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would love to see a 0 turn cut zoysia. My variety of zoysia is the densist grass I have ever seen. Even more than Tifway Bermuda which will kill a push mower engine if walking too fast.

Put up a picture of your turf please.

slomo

SHB

Threads
I have a situation similar to yours, about 10-15 acres, former pasture, some clear, some young hardwoods, flat to hilly. The fields had been neglected when we moved in, briers over my head, thick stands of Johnson grass, various trees. Thought about getting a bush hog / tractor (not good under / around trees), tried a pull behind ATV mower (same maneuverability issue plus wouldn’t deal with the black berry briars). I toyed with a rotary cutter for the bobcat, but still hard to work under trees, scary on some slopes, high operating costs. I bought a 2009 Bad Boy ZTR with a 60” deck at an estate sale for $2K, put lugged tractor tires on it (better for slopes, don’t get stuck as often) and went to work. I know I abuse it, but it’s easy to work on, built like a tank, parts are affordable, and it works great under / around trees. Just finished clearing the hilliest parts of brush and briers and put in an orchard, mowing from now on will be more maintenance.
My suggestion is to avoid the low end consumer grade units, go with something with a fabricated (not stamped) deck. Watch Facebook marketplace, see quite a few used ones there, bad boy worked for me, but eXmark is good, just look for something that has been cared for. You won’t get a warranty, but bank the $$ you save and you can cover most repairs. You might consider lugged tires, you can find them on eBay, definitely help with imperfect terrain (but can tear up a nicely manicured yard). Watch the slopes when things are wet, you will slip and it can get dicey.

vxooxv

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for all the information.
I did venture into the big box as a first stop to start my in-person looking. I plan on going to a few dealers this week.

So far I'm looking at Ariens Apex, John Dear Z515E, Toro Titan, all within the 5k budget. Further feedback and recommendations welcomed.

beddy85

Threads
Thank you for all the information.
I did venture into the big box as a first stop to start my in-person looking. I plan on going to a few dealers this week.

So far I'm looking at Ariens Apex, John Dear Z515E, Toro Titan, all within the 5k budget. Further feedback and recommendations welcomed.
I agree with everything the prior poster has said, except for the part about the stamped decks being less superior. John deere runs a stamped deck on all their ztrs, we have one on our farm that we have absolutely abused and still holds together strong. I would suggest checking out the new z530m from jd. I looked at one last week at our jd dealer I was pretty impressed. Again, 5k is kind of on the low side for a machine
looking to do 3acres. But, everyone's situation is different.

vxooxv

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree with everything the prior poster has said, except for the part about the stamped decks being less superior. John deere runs a stamped deck on all their ztrs, we have one on our farm that we have absolutely abused and still holds together strong. I would suggest checking out the new z530m from jd. I looked at one last week at our jd dealer I was pretty impressed. Again, 5k is kind of on the low side for a machine
looking to do 3acres. But, everyone's situation is different.
the z530m lists for 5199 which isn't bad.

The thing is, outside deck size, and perhaps hp, I'm not exactly sure what the mechanical differences are. Some have a slightly better warranty than others.