Another Exmark Quest transmission whine

mgmine

Threads
I read the problem that the Maineye had with the left side whine. Mine is on the right side. Mine is 6 years old but the whine has been there for two. The mower has only 80 hours on it. After about 30 minutes the right side whines then maybe but not always it becomes somewhat unable to turn right. After it sits for 10 minutes or so the whine goes away until it's driven for a while. In the other post-Bertsmobile said to add oil but the manual says that only the S series have a service interval. How can I check or add oil? Are there any videos that show the Quest model service? I would like to see where a fan is located if there is one. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Exmark buy sealed units so they do not have to stock individual parts for them
So you have to work out which hydro from what maker you have
Then get their service manual
Your hydro drives while the oil is cold & thick then fails when it gets hot & thin
I think it is a Parker UHT and the manual is on the Toro web page .
Got a feling your unit has a replaceable paper filter which may have clogged up .
If they sit around for a long time unused or only get run for short times water from the air condenses inside and that blocks the filter .

mgmine

Threads
Thanks, I'll check out the site. I talked to Exmark and they said it was sealed so I can't get into it. Probably won't buy another Exmark.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is not welded closed
there has to be a plug to fill the unit with oil, and a hole to vent hot air and from the looks of the manual even a replaceable filer which doubles as a drain.
But from the dealers point of view the only part they carry is the complete hydro so as far as they are concerned it is "sealed" and can not be fixed .
Or to put it another way "we only replace the units & do not fix them "
The Parkers fitted to a customers Walker are also "sealed" but come with a life time warranty so when the axel seal packed it in he had to take it to the Walker dealer because if I replaced the seal on the axel I would have to break the seal on the filler cap to replace the lost oil and that voids the warranty because I am not a certified Walker agent nor Parker trained tech .
Exmark probably have a life time guarantee from Parker over the units so if they fail, Parker replace them under warranty at no cost to Exmark but you have to pay labour .