Another brilliant design!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Simplystupid.jpg
Shock mount in front of spark plugs so that once you break the plugs loose you can't use a socket to get them all the way out. After 2 turns you can barely get the socket off and finger the plugs out. If they aren't tight. I'll bet the engineers used to work for Chrysler.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Now you know we must be trained with magical powers before being allowed to work on equipment.:p

Bertrrr

Threads
I've seen some crazy designs on Kubota mowers, this looks like one of them

SHB

Threads
Engine is a purchased part. Engineer designing the frame given a “shrink wrap” CAD model for the engine, with little to no detail as to what parts are what. May have been told to reuse a frame from another product. Parts arrive on the assembly floor, problem found. Management says “ship it”.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess the engineers were too stupid or busy to realize that nearly all v twins have plugs in about the same place. Since they don't do maint i guess not their problem. Of course i have seen stupider

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or could had supervisor like I once had where he do something to a machine I was working that I told him would destroy it. His first order was do it because I said so. Well after it destroy the $2000 programmable calculator he turns to and "you knew better but you did anyways" then tried billing me for the damages. He never got paid as it was on him.

Bertrrr

Threads
Or could had supervisor like I once had where he do something to a machine I was working that I told him would destroy it. His first order was do it because I said so. Well after it destroy the $2000 programmable calculator he turns to and "you knew better but you did anyways" then tried billing me for the damages. He never got paid as it was on him.
I used to keep a hand written daily diary when I was told to do anything I thought was against my better judgment - just whip it out when things went south - always came to my rescue when finger pointing started after failure- no one else had anything to fall back on

X580

Threads
Shock mount in front of spark plugs so that once you break the plugs loose you can't use a socket to get them all the way out. After 2 turns you can barely get the socket off and finger the plugs out. If they aren't tight. I'll bet the engineers used to work for Chrysler.

Good grief!

^That^ reminds me of the bottom-most spark in our boats Mercury 150 4-stroke outboard AND a little 2500W generator we keep handy for outages.

The tool kit for each has a 3” to 4” length of 3/8” fuel hose that I stick over the top end of the plug and then use to reverse thread the plug until I feel (and often hear) the threads align. Then, that length of fuel hose allows me to make certain I do not cross thread the plug threading it back into place and before re-tightening it with a socket. (Also great for getting the plug out after I’ve loosened it)

Man, I look at your photo and just think, Good Grief!

TobyU

Threads
View attachment 63036
So true. Then if they ever tweak something enough to get out pretty darn good, they will change the model number and make a "new' one and screw this up again.
BUT- that is why they put the 3/4 hex on the end of spark plug socket though. Lol
I had a 67 GTO with 400 in it that I had to use the 13/16 socket and a boxed in wrench on end for number 7 because steering shaft was so close and in line of sight so you couldn't use straight extension.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had a 1970 dodge tradesman van with a 440 in it to change the back 2 plugs you had to unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the engine about 3 inches and it was still a PITA.