An answer that has avoided my question for years.

JT White

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / An answer that has avoided my question for years.
Why is it, when I mow my mower leaves a trail of uncut grass or weeds? I have six acres that I mow and it never looks great. I have tried different blade & mower speeds. Blades have been fresh sharpened. I can't always get to the mowing on regular intervals, so height varies, especially 3 acres of it. What am I doing wrong or not doing? Double mowing is a pain I won't endure. Thanks.

4getgto

Threads
Why is it, when I mow my mower leaves a trail of uncut grass or weeds? I have six acres that I mow and it never looks great. I have tried different blade & mower speeds. Blades have been fresh sharpened. I can't always get to the mowing on regular intervals, so height varies, especially 3 acres of it. What am I doing wrong or not doing? Double mowing is a pain I won't endure. Thanks.
What kind of mower you using.. Have any pictures.?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I ran into this with my old Sears GT rider. I measured the blades and got a new blade for the center that was longer, had to grind a bit off the edges to clear the other two just a little. Not sure if those blades were originals made shorter in case a bearing went out, or maybe a generic set that weren't right for this mower, but the fix did the job ok.

JT White

Forum Newbie
Threads
No pictures. My tractor is a John Deere 317, 42 inch, three blade cut. As for the blades, they were purchased through a John Deere dealer several times over several years. Anybody I asked this question, has never had an explanation as to why, including the dealer..

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is your mower deck and blades pitched down just a bit at the front? This is the recommended set up for best mowing. If the front is higher it could be that the turbulence under the deck is flattening the grass enough that the blade can't cut the strip? Just a wild guess here.

Does seem odd, the blades are staggered to give some overlap, should really cut without leaving the stripe except maybe when turning.

keakar

Threads
cut back on your speed when cutting, going too fast (faster then the blade can cut it) is a good explanation, its designed for full coverage with overlap

JT White

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have mowed so slow, I almost fall asleep. Naw, I'm just kidding, although I don't move fast. I will check the tilt of the deck. I've tried all kinds of idea's and it just don't change. But I will keep trying. If all else fails, I'll just use my Bush Hog. It only has one blade and it don't leave anything standing. It just ain't very neat. ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Question. Where is uncut in relation to the deck blades?

From what I see JD Parts you have a 41" deck and the blades should be 14" on the diagonal.