All the Stihl Kombi unit power heads have the same weight?

*CPB*

Threads
  • / All the Stihl Kombi unit power heads have the same weight?
Is that a misprint? That doesn't sound right.

SpecificationsKM 91 RKM 111 RKM 131 R
DISPLACEMENT 28.4 cc (1.73 cu.in.) 31.4 cc (1.9 cu. in.) 36.3 cc (2.2 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 0.95 kW (1.27 bhp) 1.05 kW (1.4 bhp) 1.4 kW (1.9 bhp)
WEIGHT 4.4 kg (9.7 lbs.) 4.4 kg (9.7 lbs.) 4.4 kg (9.7 lbs.)

I'm interested in the most powerful one, the 131. I'm going to go to a dealer this week to hopefully hold all 3. I guess I'll know then.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
They are pretty much the same engine, with different diameter pistons. You will not feel any differences by holding them. If you get the regular fs91/111/131, you can just change attachments on them. Likely a lot cheaper.

*CPB*

Threads
If you get the regular fs91/111/131, you can just change attachments on them. Likely a lot cheaper.

You mean instead of the Kombi system with the split shaft, just get a trimmer and then change out what's on the end of the shaft? Gearbox attachments is I believe what they call them. I considered that, but the savings isn't significant, switching to different attachments takes longer, and I've never seen a dealer that actually stocks just the bits that go on the end of the shaft. They favor the Kombi.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Dealers have stacks of those "half-shafts", because if anyone needs one of those attachments rebuilt, they just sell them a new kombi-attachment and stick it on their trimmer/unit. Loosen the 2 or 4 screws, and swap it out, I stick the chainsaw head on mine, as well as a spare gearhead with the brushblade, and another one with my grass head.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, I never checked before, they both are $430, but with the km131, you still have to buy the trimmer head attachment for another $90, so that is a pretty big difference. Unless I am reading it wrong.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Same thing goes with the other units. If they have a pole pruner that needs a gearbox, they just take the head off of one of the kombi units, or whatever.

*CPB*

Threads
Yeah, I never checked before, they both are $430, but with the km131, you still have to buy the trimmer head attachment for another $90, so that is a pretty big difference. Unless I am reading it wrong.
No, you're not reading it wrong. It also depends on when you buy, Right now Stihl is running a promotion on the Kombi system. If you buy a power unit & one attachment, you get a free trimmer attachment. I need some articulating hedge trimmers, so I'll likely buy those & the KM-131 and get the free trimmer attachment.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
So, there is a special as you describe? That may be a good option for my e-bay dilemma.
I part out units on e-bay, and Stihl is out of trimmers right now.
Thanks!!

*CPB*

Threads
They didn't have the articulating hedge trimmers in stock so I bought the 131, the edger, and got the trimmer attachment free. Oh, and a 6-pack of their oil. You do that and they double the warranty.