Aftermarket parts

Nickster2213

Threads
Should I buy aftermarket parts from Amazon for my Stihl MS 290, gas line and carb kit. I have done this in the past with other small engines and worked out well.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From my experience I would never buy parts listed on Amazon or Fleabay. You have a 50% chance of receiving parts which have been rejected by someone and the seller is selling them cheap to get a quick buck. I know some on this forum say I’m nuts (they may be right) but because I warranty my work I don’t want to have it come back because I wanted to save a couple of pennys. Just my opinion.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I buy a few parts on Amazon depending on what they are. Sometimes I work on things that don't have readily available parts. Mostly used on Chinese items sold at Rural King, etc. Not much that can go wrong ordering Chinese parts to repair a Chinese item.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I never ever buy any parts for a customers equipment from either Scammazon or Evilpay for the very reason Rivets mentioned .
No use trying to save the customer a few $$$ at a big cost to me from doing it a second time under warranty.
I buy a lot of parts directly from Chian either via MADE IN CHINA ( for stock replacements ) or with ALIBABA ( note not Ali Express )
In both of those cases the vendor is usually the manufacturer and they do not get paid till either I reply that the good arrived as described in the time described and in good condition , or after the 90 day escrow period if I don't send an OK message.
Thus everything I get is good to go .

I do at least 5 repairs a mnth where the customer has bought junk from ebay or amazon that just did not work or was defective .
But fools never learn and many of them are serial offenders convinced that the rare time the parts are good is a bargian & outweighs all the times the parts were bad .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Four weeks ago my neighbor asked me to get his 2006 Snow Pup with an R-Tech running. After cleaning and rebuilding the carb multiple times I told him the carb was so bad I couldn’t get it to run properly. Replacement carb was not available and he could run it, but it will run rough. He asked about going on the internet to find a carb. I gave him the carb number, but said there was a less than 50% chance he would find a good one and I wouldn’t recommend it. 10 days later he says he got a new one for $20 and asked if I would install it. Put it on, but it still ran rough. Found that the jet was partially plugged and three nozzle jets fully closed. Decided that since I had two bad carbs I would try punching the jets on the new one and see what happens. Results were that I get it running OK, but not great. Had too much time in it by then and informed him it was the best I could do and it he wasn’t someone who helps me out I would be charging him more than the unit was worth. Exact reason I never go that route.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
From personal experience you are asking for problems by using unvetted parts. I got a MS310 in shop that I am having to replace the carburetor because someone put on an after market. I should had been able to rebuild the OEM carburetor with a $10 kit on hand but not the clone. Now I waiting the Stihl to get the proper carburetor for it.

If you spend the money that the MS310 costs you should will spend the money the carburetor cost if rebuild-able. It not the shop fault if you install a clone that burns up your saw.

Your saw has a Walbro HB-18 carburetor which uses the K10-HD repair kit.

upupandaway

Threads
From my experience I would never buy parts listed on Amazon or Fleabay. You have a 50% chance of receiving parts which have been rejected by someone and the seller is selling them cheap to get a quick buck. I know some on this forum say I’m nuts (they may be right) but because I warranty my work I don’t want to have it come back because I wanted to save a couple of pennys. Just my opinion.
Understandable. When running a company when you reach for that part, it better fit and work or you are out another hour+ to get a part that works. Buying from the the maker or an OEM supplier can 99% guarantee to fit and work.

Personally, myself putzing around fixing my own odds and ends, I have time to spare if it doesn't fit. Yeah, 80% chance the part fits buying parts from ebay\amazon, but for the remaining 20% it is not for a customer so time is not critical for me.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Understandable. When running a company when you reach for that part, it better fit and work or you are out another hour+ to get a part that works. Buying from the the maker or an OEM supplier can 99% guarantee to fit and work.

Personally, myself putzing around fixing my own odds and ends, I have time to spare if it doesn't fit. Yeah, 80% chance the part fits buying parts from ebay\amazon, but for the remaining 20% it is not for a customer so time is not critical for me.
Personally I don't have the money to waste either. I have ordered aftermarket and so called OEM parts through Amazon to only received defective ones and either I couldn't return them or the vendor charges a large restocking fee even on defective parts. I now only use Amazon vendors that I know are honest about the parts. THey are few and far between but they are there.

I just had one trying to pay me to remove a half bad review of their product. No I am not removing or modifying it as other needs to know the defect.

RJFCO

Forum Newbie
Threads
Since when did the word AFTERMARKET become a bad word. I sold Aftermarket Automobile parts for over 50 years. There are good Aftermarket Parts and there are bad Aftermarket Parts! Some Aftermarket Parts are manufactured by the same people that got the low bid for the OE. Why in my first 30 years when I told people that I was a rep in the Automotive Aftermarket, they didn't know what Aftermarket meant. Now it means bad? Cheapest is not always best, and neither is OE. Look for parts manufactured by a reputable manufacturer and remember you usually get what you pay for!