After market spindles

Divot

Threads
Hello all,
I have a 2013 John Deere z445 with a 48” deck model1m0Z445KPDM131408 and I’m starting to hear the sealed bearings start to “rattle”. My question is should I just buy the 6 sealed bearings from JD? I’ve seen the aftermarket complete spindles for not much more than what my dealer wants for the bearings. I am a big fan of you guys that regularly participate in helping us and I find your experience and knowledge unsurpassed. As somewhat a turf expert myself, I have really relied on the info you guys provide on the mechanical aspect of small engines. I think I
know what you guys might say, hearing your opinions on Chinese replacement carbs etc When I replace the sealed bearing I’m afraid I might find more worn parts like spacers etc inside that might need replaced as well. Any experience with aftermarket spindles? These bearings have 676 hours on them and although I am the second owner I believe they’ve never been replaced as I bought it at less than 300 hours

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
From what I see the 48C deck uses L44643/L44610 tapered bearings. You need them and the six seals. Can get the bearings in after market but seals currently I don't have cross for available so those have to come from JD.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I did a z445 spindle rebuild and if i remember right JD bearing number m110024 which crosses to 6204 2RS

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
usually SKF, FAG, NSK, INA, or Timken are the better bearings. Many bearing houses can get you seals and bearings if you take the old ones in. That said, that isn't always less than going to the mower manufacturer. Avoid the cheaply made bearings or you will be doing it again.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I did a z445 spindle rebuild and if i remember right JD bearing number m110024 which crosses to 6204 2RS
Then it is another bad JD alternate crosses to A&I. Sorry the bad info but you depend on the OEM website you get accurate info. Boy I hate it when I am given wrong info by the OEM. I have seen this a couple times lately with JD Parts website. I have no idea what they are doing. It is getting confusing.
1652872126410.png

What is worst is when I pass it along. Please forgive me for the incorrect info.

Anyway Hammer I will correct it on my system. The 6204-2RS C3 bearing are something I keep on hand as currently I got 29 of them. Personally if the image on the IPL is correct and the spindle has grease fitting and grease seals I would pop the seals on the 6204-2RS so grease can get into them.
usually SKF, FAG, NSK, INA, or Timken are the better bearings. Many bearing houses can get you seals and bearings if you take the old ones in. That said, that isn't always less than going to the mower manufacturer. Avoid the cheaply made bearings or you will be doing it again.
Here I use Spinco bearings. Yes they are Chinese made but they have been holding up very well. The only thing is as with all sealed like the 6204 I repack them before installing as I don't like the grease that comes in them. JD is using Koyo bearings in several the machine I recently repaired.

As others will note a lot of the Chinese stuff is just plain junk and will not last. I brought a lot of 6204s from Amazon and they failed within a few months. I was back at replacing for the customers for free at the time. Glad I had only installed 20 of them. I usually just warranty things for 30 days but in this case it was a bad product I install and I made it right for the customer.

SamB

Threads
Then it is another bad JD alternate crosses to A&I. Sorry the bad info but you depend on the OEM website you get accurate info. Boy I hate it when I am given wrong info by the OEM. I have seen this a couple times lately with JD Parts website. I have no idea what they are doing. It is getting confusing.
View attachment 60548

What is worst is when I pass it along. Please forgive me for the incorrect info.

Anyway Hammer I will correct it on my system. The 6204-2RS C3 bearing are something I keep on hand as currently I got 29 of them. Personally if the image on the IPL is correct and the spindle has grease fitting and grease seals I would pop the seals on the 6204-2RS so grease can get into them.

Here I use Spinco bearings. Yes they are Chinese made but they have been holding up very well. The only thing is as with all sealed like the 6204 I repack them before installing as I don't like the grease that comes in them. JD is using Koyo bearings in several the machine I recently repaired.

As others will note a lot of the Chinese stuff is just plain junk and will not last. I brought a lot of 6204s from Amazon and they failed within a few months. I was back at replacing for the customers for free at the time. Glad I had only installed 20 of them. I usually just warranty things for 30 days but in this case it was a bad product I install and I made it right for the customer.
It is disheartening,but there it is..The last spindle bearings I had to replace,I went looking for Timken bearings and found them. BUT ,the boxes were marked: Made in China".

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That is why if I want premium bearing I order KOYO which are made in Japan.

SamB

Threads
That is why if I want premium bearing I order KOYO which are made in Japan.
Good to know. Thank you for that bit of valuable information. The parts people weren't able to tell me when I asked, are the bearings assembled in Mexico,or totally manufactured there. If the bearing were assembled in Mexico of USA parts,I'd be OK with that. Exporting jobs may be better than 'importing" people.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Good to know. Thank you for that bit of valuable information. The parts people weren't able to tell me when I asked, are the bearings assembled in Mexico,or totally manufactured there. If the bearing were assembled in Mexico of USA parts,I'd be OK with that. Exporting jobs may be better than 'importing" people.
I don't many would know one or the other. It sorta like me asking the pharmacist if it was safe to take a strong dose of BP med. She had no idea and she supposed to know this.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
maybe print them on a 3-D printer? The young crowd does a lot of that these days on 50 year old VWs instead of ponying up for an old stock new item, or a good used one.