Adjusting Hydrostatic Speed on YTH2348 - Can you burn it out?

macgyverman

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Adjusting Hydrostatic Speed on YTH2348 - Can you burn it out?
Hi all, I'm new to the world of lawn tractors. I just purchased a YTH2348 that had a blown transmission from a small engine shop. They replaced the transmission with an equivalent one from another unit. However, the pulleys didn't line up properly, so it's shimmed.

This has altered the geometry of the linkage and it seems I can't open the forward valve enough. The tractor moves at about 3kph instead of the 8.9kph top speed quoted in the manual.

I've read that you can bend the linkage a bit to shorten it, which shifts your speed ratios, giving you more forward and less reverse. I was speaking with the shop and they told me to be careful, that adjusting it too much for forward would burn the transmission out.

Does this make sense? Seems to me that you should be able to adjust the linkage so that you get full travel both forward and reverse on the valve, giving you max peak speed as per the transmission design.

Tinker Ty

Threads
I would say you are safe to adjust. They (the shop) were probably referring to the internal components. Over-speeding of those components could cause failure. Do you have a model number and/or manufacture of the transaxle? Anytime you modify, you must know what's at risk and the component change.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They are talking through their pants .
The only way you damage a tranny is if the pulley speed is too fast or too slow
The amount the valve opens makes no difference.
All engines spin at 3400 rpm ( or there abouts ) and most trannies spin at 1/2 engine speed.
So the problem is one of making sure the pulley sizes ratio is the same because bigger engines run bigger drive pulleys .
If you are unsure, get the numbers off the new tranny and then check with the tranny makers what the maximum input speed is.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Double check the linkage at the transaxle as there is two or three positions the control linkage can be attached. The shop may have the linkage in one of the outer holes thus effective lengthening amount rod movement needed to open the control lever. If it is one one of the outer holes move it closer to pivot point.

Which K46 did they install as your unit appeared to had the K46BT version?