Add Oil Cooler to Raptor SD - Kawasaki Fr691v

clubairth

Threads
I saw a post about adding the factory oil cooler used on the bigger Fh721 engine to the Fr691v that I have on my 54" Raptor SD. Wish I could remember who posted that as I owe them a big thanks! Here are some pictures and a few things I did differently on my install.

The Kawasaki parts needed;
39067-7008 Cooler - About $72
59071-0742 Joint - About $11
92055-7006 O-Ring - About $10

Gas Circle Metal Nickel Auto part

This takes a 49065-0724 Oil filter. Crosses to Wix 51360, Wix 51394, Wix 51395. These are the same just different lengths.

These are terribly small filters so I wanted to install my much larger Wix filter. Wix 51516XP about $8 at Rock Auto.
Comparing the two filters;

Automotive tire Material property Gas Font Cylinder

As the original poster noted the larger oil filter just slightly drags on the Oil Cooler casting. Here is the very tiny mod I did to the Al. base to provide clearance.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Composite material Rim

Used my Dremel tool with a cut off wheel to lightly grind the surface. It did not take much.

You do need to modify the engine so the cooler fits. To help with access the RH fender bolts were removed and then the fender swiveled a bit so I could get in there. I used a large EZ-Out to remove the short threaded nipple in the block. It's not in there very tight. There is a Al. tab under the oil filter that gets in the way of the cooler mounting flat. Again it was a pretty minor mod to cut this off with a body saw.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

After removal. Be sure and put paper towels in the oil filter base and oil filler tube when cutting. Don't want any metal to get into the engine! I had a pretty good pile to clean up before I took the picture.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive exterior

Next mount the cooler using the longer hollow bolt. I used PTFE pipe paste on the threads. A bit of oil on the O-ring too! Rotate the cooler slightly so that it does not interfere with the oil filler tube. There is plenty of room.

Motor vehicle Light Yellow Gas Automotive exterior

This is the much larger WIX 51516XP filter installed.

Motor vehicle Light Auto part Automotive exterior Gas

The larger filter does stick out more and just touches the plastic fender. Don't think it will hinder removal of the oil filter but the fender is just 4 bolts so I may just loosen that to change the oil and filter. I could not believe how much room I had to clean and put rags under the filter with the fender pulled back. I have ALWAYS hated how that horizontal filter just makes a huge mess every time it's changed!

Hood Light Automotive tire Bumper Yellow

Suppose to add about a pint of oil capacity. The original post claimed a 40F drop in oil temperature but I have not measured mine and will just assume it helped in some way. These engines full full blast 100% of the time which is much more severe service than just about anything else I own.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
So when the engine vibrations rub a hole in the filter and trashes your engine........ Hope your yard is perfectly flat.

Must admit, cool mod you did. Thing is you want your oil good and hot. Gets rid of moisture for one. Day temps 95+, night around 65F. Condensation in the oil sump.

Mr. Mower

Threads
Regardless of what anyone else thinks.....awesome and excellent modification and very well detailed and presented.

Hopefully it all works out great for you.

Where did you purchase the kit from?.....or did you just purchase each individual part separately?

If separately, then where did you purchase the parts from?

Thanks for posting and sharing.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Regardless of what anyone else thinks.....awesome and excellent modification and very well detailed and presented.

Hopefully it all works out great for you.

Where did you purchase the kit from?.....or did you just purchase each individual part separately?

Also where did you purchase the kit or the parts from?

Thanks for posting and sharing.
I respect your opinion sir. You can add all sorts of goodies to your mowers.

My experience was once on a CJ-7 Jeep. I installed this ultra cool 800hp rated oil cooler and a dual 2 quart Chevy oil filter relocation kit. Fancy hoses and all. Long story short, one hose AT the block came off on the highway. Trashed slash locked up my brand new stroker engine. Since then I use OEM filters only. No issues since.

RayMcD

Threads
Why not get the next smaller filter so it will not touch?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was wondering if any real cooling was gained from all this.

1slow5point0h

Threads
I had thought about something similar before. But instead of that setup, using a sandwich plate with the same 3/4-16 thread and adding a small external cooler somewhere. My yard isn’t too big, but when I was cutting a couple properties, the thought had crossed my mind.

Attachments

• 112FFD69-5F99-4CF8-81CF-6DBDF53EDA20.jpeg
    112FFD69-5F99-4CF8-81CF-6DBDF53EDA20.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 8FE1969B-2B19-4FF5-8500-B5D3335EA30F.jpeg
    8FE1969B-2B19-4FF5-8500-B5D3335EA30F.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 6

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Then you got to think about the millions of other mowers out there running fine without additional oil cooling.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
External oil coolers are commonly used on stand on loaders and small skid steers.
Doubt that they will do much for mowers
Very few of us mow when it is 90+ in the shade and oil should be running between 80 & 100 C

1slow5point0h

Threads
It’s already hitting 100 here where I’m at and I don’t have the luxury of mowing before sunrise, or after sunset when it’s still 90+. A cooler may be overkill, probably is, but I’ve also wasted money on far less important things lol.