A good idea?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
For rebuilding his Honda ATV carb and replacing the fuel cock, my brother brought me a couple of 36" X 7' shelves. It's not taking long to fill them up. But while trying to do some organizing yesterday, I was trying to find something to hold Stihl and other brands screws and what nots in. Small carboard boxes always have have flaps at the bottom that allows small objects to hide under. About then I was about to throw away some empty oil bottles (32oz). Then it hit me, I could cut these in a way that would allow my fingers enough room to pick out what I needed, have a bottom that wouldn't hide anything. And could be stacked neatly. Plus, they were free.

What do you think? Good idea or no?
20210104_104124_HDR.jpg

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
For rebuilding his Honda ATV carb and replacing the fuel cock, my brother brought me a couple of 36" X 7' shelves. It's not taking long to fill them up. But while trying to do some organizing yesterday, I was trying to find something to hold Stihl and other brands screws and what nots in. Small carboard boxes always have have flaps at the bottom that allows small objects to hide under. About then I was about to throw away some empty oil bottles (32oz). Then it hit me, I could cut these in a way that would allow my fingers enough room to pick out what I needed, have a bottom that wouldn't hide anything. And could be stacked neatly. Plus, they were free.

What do you think? Good idea or no?
View attachment 55199
Slick

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The only problem I see is mice carry off or scattering the contents all over the place.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a bunch of the harbor freight cases for hardware and crimp connectors and carb parts

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because I am Cheap I have been using oil bottles like that for decades, well before I became a mower mechanic.
Square 5 gallon drums get 2" cut off one side , usually through the filling hole.
The big bit becomes a leak proof storage box, with handle while the off cut becomes a drip tray or parts tray etc.
Similar story with smaller oil bottles. cut the short side off, leave the handle .
Plastic jars from the kitchen store used nuts bolts & washers generally sorted by thread but occasionally by equipment or use.
Got a full bottle of engine mounting bolts , blade carrier bolts , deformed self tappers used by MTD etc etc etc .
Plastic bottles don't break when they slip through your greasy fingers

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Because I am Cheap I have been using oil bottles like that for decades, well before I became a mower mechanic.
Square 5 gallon drums get 2" cut off one side , usually through the filling hole.
The big bit becomes a leak proof storage box, with handle while the off cut becomes a drip tray or parts tray etc.
Similar story with smaller oil bottles. cut the short side off, leave the handle .
Plastic jars from the kitchen store used nuts bolts & washers generally sorted by thread but occasionally by equipment or use.
Got a full bottle of engine mounting bolts , blade carrier bolts , deformed self tappers used by MTD etc etc etc .
Plastic bottles don't break when they slip through your greasy fingers

The first time I saw the pickle jar lids screwed into the bottom of a shelf, with the jars screwed onto them, I was amazed. Especially since I go through "bread & butter" pickles like no ones business.

Richard320

Threads
Love the price!

But now you'll be looking for oil in white bottles so it's easier to see what you have.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Love the price!

But now you'll be looking for oil in white bottles so it's easier to see what you have.

I've thought about that. And I think I've come up with an idea about that. A strand of LED lights attached inside the underside of each shelf.