90's Craftsman 2 Value

Threads
I acquired a 90's model craftsman 2 38" 12.5hp briggs and stratton riding mower. I'm going to replace the spindles, deckbelt, battery, fuelline, air cleaner, and change the oil. It runs and drives good, brakes work. After I do the work what would you value this machine at? The paint is mostly gone from the dash and sheet metal by the shifter as well as the deck, the deck seems pretty sound except a small rust hole where the front dips down by the idler pulleys and the flat sheet metal on the discharge side is a little flaky.

dougand3

Threads
Price can vary by location. That sounds like $150-$250 in the mid south / southeast. Now is a bad time to sell. March will bring a higher price for a functioning riding mower.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Exactly why I no longer repair low end mowers for resell. It can cost more than the resale value in parts alone when anyone is still stuck in the 80's. Last year I had a 2011 model Yard Man for sale for spending over $350 getting it restored to good warrant-able condition. What was I offered, $125 max. I am now parting it out and have already made $400 off the parts.

I simply no longer sell used equipment after the insult offers of items that I had repaired and offering a 90 day warranty on. I rather part out what I can and sending the remaining items to the recycling after made sure they are non repairable.

Now if the equipment that you are repairing is for your own use then it is what you consider worth it for your own use. That is why I have 2012 42 inch Yard Machines mower re-powered with 21 hp engine.

dougand3

Threads
I occasionally buy a non-runner RM / LT / GT to refurb but ONLY if it has a Peerless or Dana Spicer geared transaxle. I tout that in the ad and discerning buyers will pay $400 for that.

What is the model # of above Craftsman 2?

4950cycle

Threads
I have ran the ever lovin Dog Mess out a Craftsman mower with a Hydro for 12 yrs. in Hot a*s Florida. Can't believe that thing is still mowing. The second I think it's giving up the ghost it turns out theres a bunch of crap packed up between the frame and left pedal. Almost no access to dig out debris . But nice to know after I get out the debris the Hydros still kickin. I swear by a two pedal ( 1 pedal for forward , 1 pedal for reverse ) Hydro Rider for big technical yards ( lots of forward and reverse switching ) . Only 1 step behind a Zero turn . And no expensive complicated Hydro drives to replace. imo

4950cycle

Threads
Exactly why I no longer repair low end mowers for resell. It can cost more than the resale value in parts alone when anyone is still stuck in the 80's. Last year I had a 2011 model Yard Man for sale for spending over $350 getting it restored to good warrant-able condition. What was I offered, $125 max. I am now parting it out and have already made $400 off the parts.

I simply no longer sell used equipment after the insult offers of items that I had repaired and offering a 90 day warranty on. I rather part out what I can and sending the remaining items to the recycling after made sure they are non repairable.

Now if the equipment that you are repairing is for your own use then it is what you consider worth it for your own use. That is why I have 2012 42 inch Yard Machines mower re-powered with 21 hp engine.
21 hp B&S " single " on your yard machine ?

4950cycle

Threads
The parts guys and rider mower flippers are making me miserable here in North Central FL. . They are like lightening and buy up every good deal in sight. Man, They must be hungry here. A personal buyer can't get at Nothin without these guys cutting you out. Its almost criminal. lol I've been trying to buy a rider with one of those 540 cc ( 19 - 21 hp ) Briggs singles. All the lawn mower guys say they are junk. But its awful funny I can't beat them to one , When one is on something for sale here they burn rubber. I thought nobody had any money in this BS pandemic ! lol

4950cycle

Threads
Price can vary by location. That sounds like $150-$250 in the mid south / southeast. Now is a bad time to sell. March will bring a higher price for a functioning riding mower.
Yea, Gear mowers don't bring much more than what you are saying here in Florida . Even though we are Rider mower hungry seems here in north central FL. They are buying rider mowers right into winter here. Even though the grass ain't budged in weeks or more.