'58 Lawn Cruiser surging.

Wayne361

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello as the title states. Found this sweet little lawnmower on a trade for a curb mower i picked up. I tore carb off and meticulously cleaned everything. Was pretty gummed up. I put everything together thinking i solved the issue but no dice. Checked fuel and its getting the fresh fuel i added. Head scratcher for sure. Any ideas?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1631222932924.jpg
    FB_IMG_1631222932924.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 17

FuzzyDriver

Threads
Nice looking mowery you got there. Is it getting spark? What do you mean by "it's getting the fuel"? Are you finding fuel on the sparkplug? Does the mower seem to fire at all?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lawn Boy You know this is a two cycle engine and takes mixed fuel.

wingless

Threads
Welcome to the forum.

That looks very similar to my 1956 Lawn Boy Iron Horse Brick Top Model 5000 18" C-12 lawn mower.

Has the mechanical governor been examined? There are a pair of spinning hinged weights that push on the arm that opens / closes the throttle plate.

What is the function deck blocks in front of the engine and extending to the front wheel?

2smoked

Threads
Wayne, your mower looks like a fantastic find. It is definitely a re-branded Lawn Boy from the late 50’s and appears to be lightly used. It would be nice if you could post a few more pictures of it. As Wingless mentioned, the mechanical governor may need to be examined. The “block” on the deck is part of the muffler. It may need to be removed and cleaned of any excess carbon. Carbon can block the exhaust port and cause poor running. If you didn’t know, that mower must have a 16:1 two stroke mixture. Don’t give up on it. Old Lawn Boy fanatics like me would love to find something like this. Thanks for posting this.

Wayne361

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wayne, your mower looks like a fantastic find. It is definitely a re-branded Lawn Boy from the late 50’s and appears to be lightly used. It would be nice if you could post a few more pictures of it. As Wingless mentioned, the mechanical governor may need to be examined. The “block” on the deck is part of the muffler. It may need to be removed and cleaned of any excess carbon. Carbon can block the exhaust port and cause poor running. If you didn’t know, that mower must have a 16:1 two stroke mixture. Don’t give up on it. Old Lawn Boy fanatics like me would love to find something like this. Thanks for posting this.
Sorry for the late post. The mechanical governor may be the issue. How to i inspect (other than the obvious visual) to determine if its operating properly. Waiting on a lower crankshaft seal before i tear it apart.
Another stroke of luck is i picked up a 5024 and the seller had a bunch of manuals and gave me the one for this model. LC5150.
Thank you

wingless

Threads
The governor has a folded metal collar that slides up/down on the top of the crankshaft. That collar has slots to accept the tabs from the hinged weights. Those only go together one way.

The collar pushes down on an arm that moves a spring loaded shaft attached to the carburetor throttle plate.

All that must move freely.

Gregory5

Threads
Would like to see the model / serial number plate on that mower. Thanks

Here is a possible quick check of your governor operation. These are pics of my D-400 engine on a Model 4301 Lawn Boy. Well, I guess I cannot load pics. "File is too large" (Whatever that means)

I will do my best to describe it. At rest, not running, the link on the throttle lever should be pointing at about 10 o'clock. Should be viewable from the front of the mower. At idle, it should be pointing at about 8 o'clock

Wayne361

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to all who replied. I looked at ignition system and cleaned the points while into it. Looked extremely clean as i can tell mower hasnt had a lot of use. Governor weights were also in perfect shape along with governor action. By a hunch i replaced the lower seal and fired it up. Runs like new! I figure this mower has sat without use for quite a while. Love the sound of this old girl. Will attempt to post some pictures. The exhaust system was unique to me. OMC made lawn boys and lawn cruisers for the Canadian market. As far as i can tell lawn cruisers never made the US market.