50s tote goat 2020 lct 208cc charging system??

Stsguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm rescuing a vintage tote goat. The lct 208cc engine (new) was originally used in a snow blower. I thought i knew.small engines ok but wow I was wrong..I need a gurus help..
The engine is a great one.. it came with a 230v elec started ice removed .being in Texas the only cold start will be if someone leaves the freezer open..
It has wires with connector that looked like it was from a stator. I used my multi meter and at idle 6volts dc 12 at full open throttle. I want to run a led head light so thought a small battery will keep the light steady and charge the battery too. However I have a feeling I need to install a voltage buck. ...regulator .. or even a rectifier.. can some one tell me whats the best and cheapest option.? Can it run less right off the stator.? Agian I'm guessing it is a stator cheers thank u joe

Stsguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here one like mine

Attachments

• 23bccf604bf0af153c0eb93d0f9cc858.jpg
    23bccf604bf0af153c0eb93d0f9cc858.jpg
    572 KB · Views: 6

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am surprised that you are getting DC output. Most mower engines and snow throwers that are setup for a headlight are AC none regulated systems. The normal headlights don't care if they are run on DC or AC.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually the SKSN0770 stator is listed as a 60w DC unit for the snowblower engine. I thinking that it is setup to only charge at full throttle but putting a battery inline may change the charging characteristics as it has a smoothing effect.

Born2Mow

Threads
Most all small engines have some type of alternator, which output AC power. If you are sure the output is DC, then somewhere there is already a rectifier used to change the AC to DC. That unit may, or may not, also have a built-in voltage regulator. If you are sure the maximum output is 12.0V, then there's a 99% likelihood that regulation is being done. Normally, alternator output climbs with engine RPM and might go to 20V or more without regulation.

Assuming your measurements are correct, you can indeed connect a small 12V battery to the output. To determine the correct size of the battery, you'll need to measure the current going into the battery with an ammeter. Too small a battery and it will be "cooked" to death; too large and the battery will never achieve "full charge".

Once that is working, you can connect your 12V LED lamps with an ON/OFF switch. The lamps should not pull more than about ~2/3 of the charge current. For instance, if your total alternator output at full throttle is 3.0A, then your lamps shouldn't require more than 2.0A. This leaves 1.0A to charge the battery. You sure as heck don't want to buy lamps than require 3.2A or the battery will always be dead. Most lamps are rated in Watts which is Current x Volts. So in our example of a 2.0A limit, 2A x 12V or 24W lamp max.

LED is a great choice because you'll get far more light output, but there is a downside. They rarely work at low voltages like your common incandescent bulbs. So instead of simply becoming dim, your lights may turn themselves OFF if the battery ever gets to a voltage below ~10V.

So this system will work great as long as the revs (and therefore alternator output) are kept high, like on a mower. But if this system is used on a variable engine speed device, like a go-kart you may not be as successful.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: