5024 High Rpm issues

Wayne361

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. I just picked up a 5024 for cheap and its reving high. When i turn carburetor adjustment knob clockwise it keeps running hard but will die once its nearly turned all the way in. If i attempt to back it off the mower will sputter and then start to over rev again. Its like there is no sweet spot. The engine also is pushing gas out of the carb which i assume is a float issue. Not sure if the two are related. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wayne361, 5024 is of little help. We need mower manufacturer, engine make & all model & serial numbers from engine.
Thanks, Mark
Your issues may be related but information helps us assist you with positive technical advise.

Wayne361

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wayne361, 5024 is of little help. We need mower manufacturer, engine make & all model & serial numbers from engine.
Thanks, Mark
Your issues may be related but information helps us assist you with positive technical advise.
Sorry its a 1976 Lawnboy brick top commercial. 5024 is the model. Serial is 238609.

AnthemBassMan

Threads
Sounds like the governor rod is binding. It’s the small bent rod that runs from the throttle linkage to up under the shroud. First thing is to make sure that it moves freely and that the linkage should be approximately at the 11 o’clock position. The large adjustment knob you were turning is the main nozzle screw.

L8R,
Matt

Wayne361

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like the governor rod is binding. It’s the small bent rod that runs from the throttle linkage to up under the shroud. First thing is to make sure that it moves freely and that the linkage should be approximately at the 11 o’clock position. The large adjustment knob you were turning is the main nozzle screw.

L8R,
Matt
Thanks for the reply. Governor rod moves freely. Have some seals ordered. Once they come in I'm gonna tear into it more proper...