5 HP Tecumseh governor issue

Mattmotors

Threads
Hi all. Let me get the particulars out of the way. 5 HP Tecumseh on a Snapper Snow Blower Model HS50 67266H Serial 818 CB
Starts up and runs. It wont run fast. If I bump the governor, it will speed up. If I raise the throttle to full It will sit there and idle, then after about 20-30 seconds it will come off idle and raise RPM to maybe half throttle. I know it is not full speed. When it is off and I move the governor, it feels like it is binding a little. Like I'm breaking thru dried old grease. I sprayed the linkage at the block with WD40 to maybe free up any gummed external grease.
On a side note, I acquired this Snow Blower from my Neighbor as a wreck. New tires , some paint and added electric start. I also replaced a Chinese knock off carb with an OEM carb I got off E bay. Could I have gotten the spring in the wrong hole or might there be something internal inside the block? Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance , Matt.

Attachments

• IMG_3898.jpeg
    IMG_3898.jpeg
    563.7 KB · Views: 12

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The throttle shaft will get sticky and cause that issue. The bottom of the shaft inside the carb venturi seems to be the worse area for it to collect old fuel residue and then gum up.

Mattmotors

Threads
Well, I had some time to look at the situation so I put on my x-ray specs and what I found was the connecting link between the governor arm and the carburetor had a bend in it. This caused the link to be at an angle as it went thru the hole on the carb and bind. Once I straightened it out, I ran the engine and it worked perfect. Now I think I'll ask my neighbor if he wants to buy it back.