5 hp Little Wonder Blower

Obewon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently blew the head gasket on my 5 horse Little Wonder blower. The engine model is 130202 3104. I de-carboned the head, piston and valves, and replaced the head gasket. It started great, but I noticed that after about 5 minutes or so, the engine's power would drop to ~70% or so. The valves looked OK so I did not do anything to them during the gasket replace. I don't have a compression gauge so I could not test. Is that a likely culprit? Any other ideas of what could be causing the performance drop? Thanks!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would say at this point that the valve clearances have closed up and could be floating the valves preventing them from sealing. If you have the head off and can turn the valves with thumb pressure while in the closed position they are not sealing.

Obewon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would say at this point that the valve clearances have closed up and could be floating the valves preventing them from sealing. If you have the head off and can turn the valves with thumb pressure while in the closed position they are not sealing.
Just removed the head and the intake valve can be rotated easily with my thumb (closed position). Do I need to grind the valves or just adjust them? Thanks!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you check the intake valve lash be sure it is not on the easy spin bump on the cam. I would lap the valves and then adjust the clearance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The B &S Manual gives 2 sets of valve lash
One for checking with the springs in place and one for adjusting springs not fitted
I have found that if I set them to the maximum clearance for no springs they end up being at the minimum when the springs are replaced .
SV lash closes down because the seat wears
OHV lash opens up because all of the moving parts wear more than the seat