48" Hustler Raptor SD replacement belt@Lowes

FieldCut48

Threads
50" Troy Built 127cm belt from Lowe's fits the 48" Hustler Raptor SD. It's slightly narrower but worked fine. Not bad for a weekend fix $46

FieldCut48

Threads
Found a replacement belt for the 50"Troybuilt mower on ebay for $17 free shipping.. same belt as the one Lowes sells for $46. My local dealer was $60 for a belt. I have 2 hanging up on the wall just in case. I've been cutting the yard once a week with zero belt issues. The problems were operator error.. grass was too high and I was trying to cut it too low too fast.

FieldCut48

Threads
To follow up on this post.... I have been running the Cub Cadet/MTD/Troy Bilt belts for a few seasons now with ZERO issues. One of my co workers recently purchased a Hustler SD 48". He's having the same issues slinging belts and he will be trying this fix soon. The ebay replacement belts are $12.99 to $16.99 and are a dream come true...

Cub Cadet/MTD/Troy Bilt Replacement Belt #954-04044 or #754-04044A or 754-04044. We just checked and found a ebay vender selling them for $12.99 each with free shipping

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To follow up on this post.... I have been running the Cub Cadet/MTD/Troy Bilt belts for a few seasons now with ZERO issues. One of my co workers recently purchased a Hustler SD 48". He's having the same issues slinging belts and he will be trying this fix soon. The ebay replacement belts are $12.99 to $16.99 and are a dream come true...

Cub Cadet/MTD/Troy Bilt Replacement Belt #954-04044 or #754-04044A or 754-04044. We just checked and found a ebay vender selling them for $12.99 each with free shipping

Before we all got more computing power in our pockets than NASSA had when they put a man on the moon, engineers had actually understand what they were doing.
However now days nice fresh graduates sit at a desk , download the belt sizing app from a belt maker, type in their variables and get an answer like 134.375".
Now because these engineers are from the calculator generation where the right number was more important than principles of opperations they then specify a totally stupid belt size like A 134.375.
Standard belts are made in 2" incriments when they get longer than 100" so again a competant designer would move the engine 1/8" close to the front & fit a standard size belt 134".
Or move the fixed idler the same 1/8".
However they are not design engineers, just number crunchers so you end up with a mower that takes a stupid sizes belt which because it is a non standard size is very expensive.
I have seen things as stupid as 242.065" belt that is over $ 200 ( AUS ). As if 1/16" over 242" would make any difference what so ever.

So your cheapest belt is a stock standard kevlar A 134, which is made by dozen different companies so is a regular price .
A slightly more expensive exact replacement is a Gates 6842BR which should be about 2/3 of the MTD part.
All of the after market parts suppliers also sell what they call an exact replacement.
Some of them are in fact 134.375" but most are strait 134" because 3/8" over that length has no practical effect.

FieldCut48

Threads
Before we all got more computing power in our pockets than NASSA had when they put a man on the moon, engineers had actually understand what they were doing.
However now days nice fresh graduates sit at a desk , download the belt sizing app from a belt maker, type in their variables and get an answer like 134.375".
Now because these engineers are from the calculator generation where the right number was more important than principles of opperations they then specify a totally stupid belt size like A 134.375.
Standard belts are made in 2" incriments when they get longer than 100" so again a competant designer would move the engine 1/8" close to the front & fit a standard size belt 134".
Or move the fixed idler the same 1/8".
However they are not design engineers, just number crunchers so you end up with a mower that takes a stupid sizes belt which because it is a non standard size is very expensive.
I have seen things as stupid as 242.065" belt that is over $ 200 ( AUS ). As if 1/16" over 242" would make any difference what so ever.

So your cheapest belt is a stock standard kevlar A 134, which is made by dozen different companies so is a regular price .
A slightly more expensive exact replacement is a Gates 6842BR which should be about 2/3 of the MTD part.
All of the after market parts suppliers also sell what they call an exact replacement.
Some of them are in fact 134.375" but most are strait 134" because 3/8" over that length has no practical effect.

The special sizes are a pain. I am still running the ebay belts with zero issues. I can go a whole season on the same belts now

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
so out of curosity
1) which brand belt are you getting
2) what is the stated size

clubairth

Threads
That's interesting because I have never changed or had any belt problems with my Raptor. Over 180 hours running time so far.
Are you aware of the upgraded cross brace?
This is why your slinging belts. Has nothing to do with the belt.

Do you these 2 braces installed on your mower?

Attachments

• Hydro Cross Braces-Labeled.jpg
    Hydro Cross Braces-Labeled.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 7